Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1720 - SMART hard drive detects imminent failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VentureForth

VentureForth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

Alright -

My wife has had my computer for the last six months while I've been working away from home. When I get back to it, it's hanging up periodically. It would be a random hang up EXCEPT when I would run Disk Scan - then it would ALWAYS hang. So, over the weekend, I tried running Disk Defrag. When I got back home to it, my cursor was blinking in the top left corner of a blank monitor.

I removed the drive and brought it to work where I have access to some crack IT guys. Looks like my boot sector is visible, but there is no directory tree to access files and I can't even seem to get a letter assignment out of the drive.

Took it to Circuit City with the same results. Then took it across the street to a shady little place called Dr. Dan. From a back room, he claimed that he got it to boot to the desktop three times in a row, but then could not access any programs.

The error? 1720 - SMART hard drive detect imminent failure. Attribute #01.

I'm sure the drive is close to full failure. I'd like to get the data off of it and onto a clean, new HD, but if I can't even see the drive, am I hosed?

My computer: eMachines T2779. OS: Win XP Home. Memory 256 MB. HD: 80 GB WD800.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Money IS an issue. TIME is NOT. I'll do anything until my options run out, but I don't want to have to spend $500.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Edited by VentureForth, 03 October 2005 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:18 PM

Hi VentureForth,

Pro hard drive recovery is VERY expensive. That doesn't sound like an option. I have had some success using Norton's system works. It can look at the drive and see if things can be recovered. Your local guys may have done that.

You can try to boot to a DOS boot disk and navigate over to you data. The key there is drive recognition. All Windows/DOS fixes need to at least see the drive.

I would also take a shot with the manufacturer's software. Western Digital has data lifeguard tools.

Let me also point you here: Leurgy's hard drive post
This post has all types of hard drive info.

As a last resort, try hard drive CPR. Don't laugh, I have seen this work many times. With the computer OFF, remove the hard drive and rap it on the side (The side 90 degrees from where you plug it in - not on its top or bottom). When the drive has ran for long periods of time and then gets cut off for an extended period, I have seen the drive arm get stuck in the parked position. This is a do at your own risk thing and should be done only when you are sure the drive has to be replaced.

Question to you... Is the hard drive clicking as it tries to start?

Good luck,

Rigel

Edited by rigel, 03 October 2005 - 07:19 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 VentureForth

VentureForth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:23 PM

Question to you... Is the hard drive clicking as it tries to start?

No. There are no abnormal sounds. There is no clicking. It seems to whirr up just fine.

Very odd.

Will check into the other stuff tonight.

Thanks!
VF

Edited by VentureForth, 03 October 2005 - 07:23 PM.

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:55 PM

This is what I would do before I did anything.
Buy a new drive, set it up as master install your OS, set the old drive as slave and see if you can get into it and transfer your files to the new drive. Sometimes when set to slave they seem to be more accessible, not as much load on them or something to that effect.

I recommend this Maxtor DiamondMax10:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144233

NewEgg shipping is great, everything I order gets here in 3 days.

#5 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:59 AM

As River_Rat has indicated getting a second drive is the primary objective (is gonne work out cheaper then pro data recovery)
Then you get a program calle Ontrack: Easy Recovery, you fromat the now slave drive and with the program start doing a formatted recovery on there.

When it has finnished all files needed by you should be recovered onto the primary drive (the new one), with some luck and a bit of patience you might just get most your stuff if not all back.

*note that this is only for data loss, ontrack cannot not recover everything including the boot sector/Mbr and/or restore windows to its previous working order
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,896 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:33 AM

In addition...

It's always a good idea (in my world) to check the status of a suspected failing drive by using the utility available for download at the drive manufacturer's website.

When using such utilities, please follow the instructions. Formatting using such utility may make a bad drive reuseable.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users