Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed to Connect to User Profile Service

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ethesae

Ethesae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hi there,

First time on the site, have always just lurked for answers rather than asked outright. I'm unable to find any info on this issue so here we go:

Using: Windows Vista 32-bit w/ 4 Gigs RAM and an Intel Quad-core 2.4 GHz

When I log into my account I get the following error:

Failed to connect to a windows service:
Windows could not connect to the User Profile Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond.

Upon reviewing the Event Logs I found a ton of 700X code event failures preceded by two 6003 winlogon failures that read:

The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> was unavailable to handle a critical notification event.

In its current state, I am totally unable to view any private files at this time though programs seem to run alright for the most part.

I have tried deleting the user account and creating another one (in case of a corrupted account) but no luck. System restore and Startup repair are unavailable because no restore point was made apparently, and I cannot find my Vista discs for the life of me. I have browsed and found similar though no identical problem sufferers to coast off of.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. This is my work computer =(

Let me know if any more data is required.

Edit: Using AVG currently and a hardware firewall. Tried turning AVG off to no avail. Also running about 300 gig hard drive with 60 gigs free.

Edited by Ethesae, 24 May 2010 - 07:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

you might see if changing ownership of the files will work.

open a document window (with the docs you want in it) and look at the top left corner and should have a drop down box labeled organize:
organize/properties/security/advanced/owner/
then select your new account name in the list half way down the small window and then click (apply/ok).

you might want to do it per folder and might have to also select each file.
hope that helps.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

Some hints: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Ethesae

Ethesae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

I've already tried much of that and things are just getting worse:

Now, any time I open a program it instantly goes to "Not Responding" and locks. This includes any system programs. I'm also being spammed with messages from Host Process has failed.

The details of the processes failing are that it is an APPCRASH of svchost.exe due to either ntdll.dll or Flash9d.ocx

The computer is now totally useless, what is happening?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

You may be infected.
I suggest you start new topic at "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users