Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Primary Hard Drive not recognized by BIOS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bench320

bench320

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

What a nightmare; something that should have taken 20 minutes has now taken 2 days without much progress.

My Dell Precision 350 had a 36GB Ultra 320 SCSI 15k RPM that died - totally destroyed.

I purchased a new 146GB Ultra 320 SCSI 15k RPM that is just about the same as the original drive I wanted for this system but couldn't afford at the time; i.e., it should work on this system.

FDISK worked fine. Partion worked fine.
LSI recognizes drive but BIOS continues to list it as "Unknown Device".

I used a Linux CD OS on this machine to access the Internet and download the Phoenix Bios Plus A02 from the Dell website and flashed the BIOS. I removed the battery and reset. BIOS continues to list it as "Unknown Device".

However, under Hard-Drive Boot Sequence (not Boot Sequence), my new Drive is listed correctly.
I am at a complete loss and starting to look into crazy things like flashing the OEM BIOS with something from Intel to get a more up to date BIOS. I read another article on this board where someone had similar problems with a CD drive using the A03 BIOS - I think these BIOS versions have problems. Anyway the poster stated that he eventually go the BIOS to recognize his CD drive but can't remember what combination of keys he used. Are there magical keystrokes?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

Where is the controller on the motherboard or a card? Manufacturer and model?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,747 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

Including the info wanted above what is the drive manufacturer?

sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! | Hang With Us on LockerDome!

#4 bench320

bench320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

The SCSI Controller is a LSI Logic Card #LSI21320-IS.

The Hard Drive that died was a Seagate Cheetah (ST336732LW) and my replacement is also a Seagate Cheetah (ST3146854LW)

The motherboard is OEM for Dell but I believe it was manufactured by Intel.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

Did you check that that the SCSI ID was set properly and all termination was in place? The BIOS should be set for the main drive to be SCSI if possible. What is the make and model of the dell?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users