Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB / Flash / External Drive Safetyor Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CaseyJones79

CaseyJones79

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I recently dealt with a pretty nasty infection on my home PC (Windows XP). It turns out, the infection took advantage of Autorun/U3 (I plugged in an infected USB thumb drive). It has been brought to my attention that Windows 7 doesn't utilize the Autorun feature, but some devices may still Autorun if they are set up to read like a CD drive or a DVD drive would.

Any experienced Windows 7 users out there that can make any suggestion that may help myself or others avoid a catastrophe such as the one I experienced?

Is there a specific tool or utility that can take care of this issue?

Do I even need to worry about it with my new Windows 7 machine?

I have an external hard drive that I was using on the old machine (the one that got infected) that I would sure love to scan, clean, and continue using if at all possible and even though Windows 7 supposedly doesn't use Autorun, I'm not feeling very confident about plugging this thing into my new computer in order to clean, disinfect, etc. Call me crazy... :huh:

Thanks in advance for your input and/or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Try Flash Disinfector by sUBs: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/...Disinfector.exe :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 CaseyJones79

CaseyJones79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Try Flash Disinfector by sUBs: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/...Disinfector.exe :huh:

FlashDisinfector doesn't work with Windows 7. That's part of what led me to make this post. Sounded great, but didn't work. Are there any others that are legit that are compatible with Windows 7 that you (or anyone else) knows of?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hmph...you are correct. Now that I recall, I tried to use this program a while back, but was dismayed to find out that is doesn't work in Windows 7 no matter what Compatibility settings you apply. I had to boot my netbook into XP to use it.

I suppose you could just borrow a computer running Vista or XP and run Flash Disinfector with your flash drive plugged into that computer. Once the autorun folder is created, you don't need Flash Disinfector anymore. A flash drive that was "disinfected" on another computer will work with any other computer you stick it in...Autorun will simply not run due to the dummy autorun file created by Flash Disinfector on the flash drive.

I like the security this program brings, but I use the Autorun feature so much, I can't bear to have Autorun disabled on all my flash drives. :huh:

#5 CaseyJones79

CaseyJones79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

Hmph...you are correct. Now that I recall, I tried to use this program a while back, but was dismayed to find out that is doesn't work in Windows 7 no matter what Compatibility settings you apply. I had to boot my netbook into XP to use it.

I suppose you could just borrow a computer running Vista or XP and run Flash Disinfector with your flash drive plugged into that computer. Once the autorun folder is created, you don't need Flash Disinfector anymore. A flash drive that was "disinfected" on another computer will work with any other computer you stick it in...Autorun will simply not run due to the dummy autorun file created by Flash Disinfector on the flash drive.

I like the security this program brings, but I use the Autorun feature so much, I can't bear to have Autorun disabled on all my flash drives. :huh:

I have my wife's laptop here which runs Vista, but...let's just say an epic battle would ensue should anything go wrong, especially after our PC just bit the dust due to this problem. Guess I'll give it a shot.

So, based on this last post, it looks like FlashDisinfector will not only disable Autorun within Windows, but also on the USB/Flash device?

Thanks!

Edited by CaseyJones79, 20 May 2010 - 08:31 AM.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

hi, applocker is the answer for some versions of win7 and win server 2008 r2
really need to know what you are doing to use it correctly .
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#7 CaseyJones79

CaseyJones79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

hi, applocker is the answer for some versions of win7 and win server 2008 r2
really need to know what you are doing to use it correctly .
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

I'm pretty computer savvy, but I'm gonna go ahead and pass on that...usually, that qualifier means "you might mess something up."

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

So, based on this last post, it looks like FlashDisinfector will not only disable Autorun within Windows, but also on the USB/Flash device?

No, and yes.

FlashDisinfector will create a dummy autorun.inf file on the flash drive that can not be replaced by malware (of the sneaky autorun-type) or deleted (takes special action to remove). The dummy autorun.inf file disables Autorun from running on that flash drive only. If you plug in an "unprotected" flash drive and haven't disabled Autorun manually, Autorun will pop up for that one.

See here for full details: http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/01/08/fl...s-removal-tool/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users