Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring videos without converting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

Is there any way to transfer avi videos to my iPod without converting them using an external video conversion program / iTunes conversion program?

Additionally, is there any way to transfer videos without using iTunes?

I have an iPod touch first gen.

On an extended break.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

I Believe AVI will transfer over (think i remember doing it with avi) but it was a smaller file, like 2 minutes. (dont quote me on that..just what i remembered before converting them all to mp4)

But to transfer them without itunes i think the only way is with a jailbroken ipod, then SSH into the ipod and transfer to the Downloads folder which an app you can get via Jailbreaking can access.

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#3 s7v7n

s7v7n

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

their is an app called mp movie player

#4 s7v7n

s7v7n

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id406779775?mt=8
link to MP-Movie Player

#5 rohin john

rohin john

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

there is a way to add your movies(.avi or .mp4 etc.) to the ipod without converting it. but this will probably work for jailbroken ipods/ iphones as you need to download vlc media player and im not sure if its there in apple store but you have to download it from installous.

1.download and install vlc media player from installous
2.connect your ipod/iphone, open itunes and click on the ipod and goto "apps" tab.
3. down you will be able to see "VLC" under the filesharing column
4.click on "VLC" under apps column. you can choose any xvid files that can be played through vlc media player and then drag it to the "documents"
5.you will be able to see the progress bar on top.
6. then you are done transferring the file

now you can open vlc app on your iphone/ipod and the you will be able to see it on the menu and there you can play it...
thats it.
enjoy :)

#6 simplesimpleton

simplesimpleton

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

From my experience in filming and editing, I can tell you that AVI is a much larger file than Mp4 so you would probably want to convert the files to mp4 anyways.I believe Mp4 files are made specifically to play across other handheld platforms.With AVI you would just be wasting an unnecessary amount of memory compared to mp4.

#7 machaliek

machaliek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

From Macrumor Forum, I learn that:

iTunes only supports QuickTime and MPEG-4 Movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player. In order to successfully import AVI to iTunes and then transfer AVI to iPad, AVI to iPhone, AVI to iPod, AVI to Apple TV, etc, converting AVI to iTunes recognized formats is an ideal way.

There are so many converters available online but before going to download or purchase, find out the best  AVI to iTunes converter.

Hope it will help you more or less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users