Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

Moving window Buttons in Ubuntu/Linux

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

I just upgraded to the new Ubuntu 10.04.
The first thing I noticed is that my Maximize/Minimize/Close buttons are now in the left side of the screen and not the right.
I did some Google searching and found that they did this as an adoption from the Mac platform.
This was not just an Ubuntu change apparently.

So, to move them back if you are used to using Windows and not Mac.

1. Press Alt+F2 to get your run window.
2. Type gconf-editor
3. Click Run.
4. Navigate to apps/metacity/general
5. Open the button_layout key.
6. Change the value to menu:minimize,maximize,close

You can organize any way you want but for me this put the menu on the left and the buttons on the right.
You can leave off menu for a cleaner look.

credit http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-...n-ubuntu-10.04/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for that!

I had some problems with the Gnome Panel. The one with the date/ clock, etc. The first few bootups I had missing items such as shut down, sound control and the email notifier. Finally
was able to get them locked down. Looking around on the web, I was one of many experiencing that. I noticed in the last set of updates that one of the applets was updated. Maybe that fixed
the problem for others.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users