Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk check consistency problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 grmrt

grmrt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

at startup i have a black screen with "checking file system on C: the type of file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. ...." this seems to pop up every time I transfer picures from my camera ( not totally sure, maybe coincidence) can you help me reconfigure something to make it stop. I know how to run the disk check but its getting to be a pain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

Is it asking to check the hard drive or the sd card for your camera?

#4 grmrt

grmrt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

neither... all it says on the screen is...." checking file system on C: The type of file system is NTFS. ONe of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recomended that you continue. To skip disk checking press any key within 10 seconds." now if I press a key, sometimes it lets windows run. Sometimes not. It wont let me do anything. I get frustrated enough , pull the battery ( laptop) then keep messing and get it running. If I go into start> computer > right click on C drive and ........blah , blah , blah run disk check, that fixesa it for a while. Then the next time i do pictures, shut it down and start it in the A.M. then it does it again. I know it must be a setting i neeed to do just cant figure out what it is.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

is the camera or its memory card in the slot when you are rebooting .if it is then remove it before turning on the laptop .
i would put the camera /card in laptop after a successful boot up and right click on its icon in computer and go properties /tools and do a check disk of the card

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#6 grmrt

grmrt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

no camera , cable , or card are nowhere around when this happens. It works great after downloading pics. Its after its shut down and then started up the next morning. It may have nothing to do with the camera. I'm just having a theory here, could be way off base. Is there a way to schedule a regular disk check to run when I'm not on my pc.

#7 grmrt

grmrt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

O.K. wnt back and reread your post ( after I had my coffee) now I got it ! Went and did a check disk on my camera card, said it was fine-no errors. Good to know. Could it be that when I'm downloading my pics sometimes it comes up where a picture or two cant be downloaded. Says the file is corrupt, to skip. I say sure. so some pics are not on there but maybe it screws up the storage. What can I do.

#8 grmrt

grmrt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

O.K. wnt back and reread your post ( after I had my coffee) now I got it ! Went and did a check disk on my camera card, said it was fine-no errors. Good to know. Could it be that when I'm downloading my pics sometimes it comes up where a picture or two cant be downloaded. Says the file is corrupt, to skip. I say sure. so some pics are not on there but maybe it screws up the storage. What can I do.

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

if it were mine ,i would take off all the pictures that will come off the card and reformat the card ,in disk management ,right click on the disk's icon in computer and click on manage /disk management ,right click on the disk and chose format
, i have done this to a corrupt camera card of mine ,and im still using it

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#10 grmrt

grmrt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Well I want to thank yall for all your help! I've tried alot of things today...narrowed it down to it definitly was my camera. Now after doing so many different things , I think my problems are solved ( at least so far) Just want to say, this is an awesome site and i have loved reading everones troubles...will definitly help me in thw future. YOU GUYS ROCK...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...

thanks a bunch grmrt

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

Good news :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:22 AM

What was the resolution?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users