Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't find appdata folder on old hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 deathx88

deathx88

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

i recently had a hard drive that broke, i sent it in to a data recovery place and it was cloned onto a new drive. unfortunately the drive wouldn't boot windows so i bought another one and reinstalled vista onto it.

now everything seems fine but i want to transfer my firefox bookmarks from my old hard drive to my new one. i also want to get my info from this sidebar tool app which has alot of data i've entered into it.

i know the firefox profiles are located at C;\users\username\appdata\roaming\blahblah

its easy to find on my new drive, but i'm looking on my old drive and there is no appdata folder what so ever.

i have my folder options set to show hidden folders, and i can see the appdata folder in the 'public' and 'default' folders on my old drive but not in my 'username' folder.

i've been searching on how to do this for hours, this is literally driving me crazy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Alright, when you're in your profile folder (C:\Users\Name), click in the location bar (where it says C:\Users\Name). Click again (or hit the right arrow key) to unselect the text in the location bar (don't type over it).

Add the following: \Appdata and hit Enter.

The location should now be C:\Users\Name\Appdata

I always have to do this when I need in my Appdata folder.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

no, i can find the c:\users\username\appdata folder just fine.

i'm trying to find this folder on my old drive that i got back from the data recovery place.

i have it in two locations, on an external and copied onto c:
the person that did this put all my stuff in a folder called 'recovered files'

so it would be either
M:\recovered files\users\deathx\appdata
and
C:\recovered files\users\deathx\appdata

i even copied it to the root of M: just to make sure and it still wouldn't find it.

i tried to do what you said with it and use the address bar but it says windows cannot find that folder.

the file should be here, it was an exact clone of my drive. everything else seems to be here including hidden system files and all, i just can't get to this specific folder.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

Oh sorry, yeah I forgot it's on the other drive.

I see what the problem is....you've answered your question already....the Appdata folder is not normally visible...so when the recovery guy saved your files, he didn't bother to grab the Appdata folder...he just got the visible files in your profile folder....hence, Appdata is not there anymore.

There is no other explanation I can think of.

#5 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

well that's kinda of disappointing if that stuffs gone.

but how come there's the appdata files on the other profiles 'public' and the hidden one 'default'
he was also able to copy all the hidden system files and stuff like that, but how come not this one. there has to be some type of explanation to this.

he also sent me the broken drive back to me that he used. i have an external i can use, do you think i should try and put it in there, see if it turns on, and try and get my stuff if it's there.
or maybe i could message the guy again and see what he says.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

Ehh...I don't know...that just seemed like the only logical solution.

I doubt the broken drive will work...you can't hurt anything by trying, but don't get your hopes up...

#7 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

i just sent the guy a message, should probably hear from him tomorrow.

i think he sent the broken drive back to me because it was still able to get data off of it or something, although i don't want to spend money to get one folder off of it. before i sent it in it was able to work for about 15 minute at a time, but i'll wait what he has to say about it before i try anything and possibly damage that drive even more.

i'm not sure if you know anything about this, but when i was searching for a solution yesterday i was reading from some people saying stuff about junctions or something like that. it was kinda over my head when i was reading it. there was some program that searched for junctions and the appdata folder was actually one, like i said i don't know. :huh:

do you know anything about junctions?

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Can you provide a link to where you saw this about "junctions"?

I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

#9 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

i'm not exactly sure where i saw it, i was frantically searching and i had like 50 pages open. it was pretty hectic.

i'll try and retrace my steps and see if i can find some of the pages that was saying stuff about this.

but i'm not even sure if this is the right thing i should be looking for.

EDIT: here's something i found on it

http://www.devsource.com/c/a/Using-VS/Find...ngs-in-Vista/1/

i'll keep looking, there were a bunch of forum posts on this type of thing.

Edited by deathx88, 07 May 2010 - 10:26 PM.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hmm...okay...have you tried just searching for Firefox in that "Recovered files" folder (with hidden files set to be shown)?

You could also search for a .json file (Firefox Bookmark backup file extension).

#11 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

i tried searching firefox it really didn't come up with anything.

it just came up with stuff in the program files, program data, desktop/start menu stuff, and it showed up in the C:\users\public folder.
the .json just came up with an errormap file from october. so that's pretty useless.

i made sure i have all the hidden files shown, i even unchecked the 'protect operating system files' this shows everything, even hidden files that you should really never see.

i found this thread on another forum, this is basically the same problem i'm having, people suggested stuff to this guy but nothing really worked for me.
https://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum...0&forumId=1

i'm still trying to search for more threads and stuff.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

Have you tried to unhide all hidden files and folder via Folder Options and View tab?

#13 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:55 AM

Have you tried to unhide all hidden files and folder via Folder Options and View tab?

yeah, i even unchecked the 'protect operating system files' option. unchecking this literally shows everything.

but i messaged the guy that did my hard drive, he said he still has a copy of the image and he'll look into it for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users