Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled services and can't enable them again :(

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 golden-graham

golden-graham

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:01 AM

Hi all

i did write a massive detailed topic but my connection went and i lost it... :cool:

so here goes again :trumpet:

cut a long story short,my pc was slow and i followed instructions on disabling certain services.

now its up the spout.

can i enable these services again or is there an easy way out?

I have a dell dimension 3100 running xp service pack3, ie8
talktalk internet provider,wireless connection,f-secure av (which at the moment is called TEST VERSION OF AV-IS)?
i have the use of a laptop connected to the router here for downloading/transferring/to the pc

system restore will not work? is unable to protect my computer

no internet connection? i try to open or launch ie but nothing happens.

i cannot enable the services again...no menu at all, in the services window (local) when the expand tab is clicked there is a blue patch at the top left with a couple of cogs in it,but no list of services.in the standard tab the list is there but in properties i cannot get the original options of (enable,automatic,disable,manual)

the task bar is now grey rather than blue and looks old,

when windows is starting up it stays on the blue screen for a looong time.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup: i have more info and error messages for those who can help,just ask away,i have already tried safe mode,restore,prompts to the best of my knowledge (but then look what i did in the first place :inlove: )

Many thanks , Graham :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hi -

Do you have your XP CD , or recovery CD - If you do please type sfc /scannow into Start > Run box > Click OK . Then insert your CD -
This can replace your missing items and repair many faults - Then cut and paste this code into the Run box after the sfc scan finishes -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Thank You - :thumbsup:

#3 golden-graham

golden-graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

hi
thanks for the quick reply
i think i tried that but the cd i got with the pc was cracked.i'm sure the last time i did that,it did not prompt me to insert a cd anyway?

i'll try it though and post my progress

#4 golden-graham

golden-graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

hi again,after entering sfc /scannow it is displaying the message

plese wait while windows verifies that all prottected windows files are intact and their original versions.

and now it has stopped and nothing has happened the info box has gone?

i have typed in the code as it is on a different pc, as you suggested.
CODE
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

i typed it

cmd /c echo y|chkdsk c: /r | shutdown /r /t 30

a prompt screen flashed up and went off

tried it in upper case and a info box appeared telling me it was shutting down and to save work .

it's wirring away and checking files now

cheers

Edited by golden-graham, 21 April 2010 - 07:20 AM.

#5 golden-graham

golden-graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

nothing seemed to happen and everything is still the same?

G

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

<<...cut a long story short,my pc was slow and i followed instructions on disabling certain services.>>

Seems to me that the thing to do...is, following whatever instructions you used, to go back and undo your changes.

Lacking the ability to do that...I suspect that a repair install of XP is what you may need to attempt.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm. Please read all instructions...before attempting such.

Louis

#7 golden-graham

golden-graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

cheers for the info oth of you,i have checked out some posts relating to my situation on other sites and cane across something on kelly's corner/blackviper:

i downloaded a registry type of file (default) and (safe) that you can edit the hkeys for the services so they are no longer disabled...00000002/00000003/00000004 auto/manual/disable.. a patch i suppose,i'm not computer lierate as you can probably tell :trumpet:

well this has fixed my problem of the services being disabled, they are all now manual or auto and pretty much tie up with the default ones...

the task bar and themes also have returned back to their normal state.

however i still have the problems including not being able to do anything with the services except start them,there are no options in properties for the manual/auto/disable.
i still have no internet? or maybe i just can't launch the internet because combofix updated itself by connecting?

is there anyone that could help me further? i tried to run ccleaner from disk but it failed and said an unsure attempt was made and asked me to ignore or cancel? either way it did not install or run.

PLEASE HELP :flowers: PLEASE PLEEEEASE :thumbsup:

I'M NOT BRILLIANT WITH COMPUTERS IN FACT I AM bleepE BUT I CAN FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND LEARN AS I GO... sorry about the caps,i knocked it on with my frantic typing as the dinner is in the oven crisping itself.. :inlove:

help would be appreciated and i am still looking into the xp repair install Louis,so thanks for that.

cheers very much , Graham

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

<<...i just can't launch the internet because combofix updated itself by connecting?>>

I wasn't aware that we were attempting to deal with ComboFic/malware issues.

Do you want to provide some detail?

It makes it a lot easier to put a puzzle together...when all the pieces are in plain view of everyone.

Louis

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

For informational purposes: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Louis

#10 golden-graham

golden-graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

sorry :flowers: the combifix issue was info from another site offering help yesterday... :thumbsup:

the problem is as stands at the top of this topic working down..

also error reporting is sending... the microsoft something console had to close and sent an error report, i thought i would send it as it needs a internet connection (am i right?) it connected and sent so i'm assuming there is a connection just that my internet explorer wont launch or it cant find the names of certain shortcuts?

bare with me please.. the start up window in blue still takes a couple of mins approx to load to login,then another 20-30secs to load desktop .

the task bar is now blue again rather than the grey

the windows seem to have got back there colour e.g. control panel performance and maintanence.
system restore will not work in normal or safe mode,from prompt or command.

if i click on internet explorer it flickers but nothing happens,the same with a few different things.

i can't move stuff from disc to the pc anywhere, i have to open it from the drive.

if there is anything else i can tell you or try and explain then please let me know.

thanks for the advice and info.

G

#11 golden-graham

golden-graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

hey,i just read the combifix warning so thanks :thumbsup:

i'm pretty sure the guy new what he was doing as he wanted to know how my system was running..everything that we did seemed to go as he planned but he was more interested in that side of it than the services issue (i think?) hijack this was used first , a log sent , some things deleted then he wanted me to download malwarebytes but it wouldn't run so he suggested combifix,he did mention it was a potent remedy and to follow him to the letter. (he did explain that malware bytes was indeginous? to a error message that popped up)

just a little more info for you

G

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Apparently...I'm not making myself clear.

Both HJT and ComboFix...are malware tools...they have no other purpose than to overcome malware issues.

If you were receiving advice on malware issues...then we need to be aware of those issues, whether they were resolved, etc.

Please provide a link to your thread in this "other forum."

Louis

#13 golden-graham

golden-graham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:06 AM

no you did make yourself clear :flowers:

i didn't think there was an issue with malware? i caused the problem by disabling certain services.

the other "forum" post seems to have gone?

as explained at the top of this topic the problem was with the services being disabled and causing upset with my pc,i explained (not to anyone on bc) that my internet connection and computer had slowed down to a snails pace,and this only seemed like after i had downloaded an f-secure update which then changed my then current av symbols and menu window? when i opened f-secure into a new "TEST VERSION OF AV+IS" talktalk online security with a f-secure emblem at the bottom of the menu window for this av.the task bar menu and desktop shortcut also changed from the upside down blue f-scure triangle into a black emblem with a picture of a lock on it.

considering after this the computer and internet connection slowed right down i assumed since the wireless router and adapter info was telling me i had full signal it must be my computer at fault,this then led me to trying to disable a few services.ref:

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04...eed_up_your.htm

scroll down to the bit UNNECESSARY WINDOWS SERVICES YOU CAN DISABLE and these are the ones i changed. :inlove:

when i rebooted my pc it was then in the state i described at the top of this topic,

when i explained this on another site as i have to you at BC someone replied back with the advice of installing hijackthis,and sending him a log,i did this,he then asked me to run the hijack this again with no log and check acouple of boxes,and click fix,i did this and he went on to advise installing malwarebytes,idid this but when i went to run it i got the info message:

run time error 372 failed to load control 'vbalgrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx your version of vbalsgrid6 may be outdated,make sue you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

he then went on to say it was indigenous to malwarebytes? and i must install combofix and that it was a potent remedy and to follow him to the letter.

i installed combofix,ran it and it downloaded a microsoft recovery console,i ran it and then posted the log. everything was the same as normal and he posted back he didn't understand and had lost the thread but removing s-cure would help,this is when i finally clicked maybe he didn't see the bit i had explained about me disabling certain services? i didn't hear back..and so i came to bleeping computer under recommendation.

i have the hijack this file and the combofix file still on this laptop desktop since i cannot access the internet on my other PC which is fudged as i mentioned at the top of this topic,

and finally.......that led to me posting this topic and everything i have done since has been the first post on this topic leading to this reply...

if you suggest that i start again or have made myself unclear and need to know something else please tell me because all i'm doing is following advice and trying to relay whats state my pc is in,

thanks for your patience all,if i knew what i was doing or understood a bit more about systems i would most certainly being forwarding information a lot clearer for you all.

as it happens i don't :cool: so point me in the right direction and i will do my best to inform you and follow instructions.

Thanks, G :thumbsup:

also Louis
in my first post... i said <i cannot enable the services again...no menu at all, in the services window (local) when the expand tab is clicked there is a blue patch at the top left with a couple of cogs in it,but no list of services.in the standard tab the list is there but in properties i cannot get the original options of (enable,automatic,disable,manual) >

you suggested
<<...cut a long story short,my pc was slow and i followed instructions on disabling certain services.>>

Seems to me that the thing to do...is, following whatever instructions you used, to go back and undo your changes.

Like i said ,if i am being unclear please tell me.... i had no idea about malware or spyware or nasties and i didn't know that was what hijackthis and malwarebytes was all about until further reading ince a couple of days ago..... i did what the other person recommended,i dont know what fixes what? if the pc had real mechanics i'm sure i would do fine with a spanner..all i am doing is following instructions..i'd like to think i'm not a stupid person and as of the start of this year thought you had to hit a computer with a rubber mallet to get it to restart...please bare this in mind as i am learning,we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks , G :trumpet:

Edited by golden-graham, 22 April 2010 - 03:22 AM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Check those services for any dependencies and start those up first before restarting the services you are unable to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users