Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My XP PC Shuts Off Randomly & Often..

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mkb4321

mkb4321

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

My XP PC Shuts Off Randomly & Often. What could be causing this & how can I fix it?

ThankU, MAXINE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:48 PM

There are numerous factors that could be responsible for this to include hardware, power supply and even malware.

One thing to do is run the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool to see if it finds anything.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Michael Buckley

Michael Buckley

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:05 AM

Dust is often the cause, try cleaning it out from inside the case. The HijackThis Logs and Analysis froum should help to find out if you have malware.

Also you might need more virtual memory. You can add more in XP that is what you have by going Start < control panel < system < advanced < proframanc < settings < advaned < virtaul memory < change and setting it to something higher.
Toolbar Buttons the biggest button pack for Firefox or Thunderbird
Text Formatting Toolbar - make posting easy and fun.
Xrl.in - Tiny URls

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:50 AM

Dust is often the cause, try cleaning it out from inside the case. The HijackThis Logs and Analysis froum should help to find out if you have malware.

Also you might need more virtual memory. You can add more in XP that is what you have by going Start < control panel < system < advanced < proframanc < settings < advaned < virtaul memory < change and setting it to something higher.

Explanation of Ram and Pagefile requirements:

"RAM, Virtual Memory, Pagefile and all that stuff"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555223

#5 kalyankg

kalyankg

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:40 PM

Hi,
Can u give some more details, so that I will try to solve the prob.

#6 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

If it doesn't come down to being a spyware/malware issue then as a precaution.. make sure you don't have any power options applied such as turning off your hard disks after a certain period of time ..(control panel,power options)

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

#7 abstractventures

abstractventures

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:12 PM

make sure your fan(s) are actually working. one thing that is often overlooked is a failing power supply
good luck

#8 gman518

gman518

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

:thumbsup: Check your power supply. Often, when your PC's power supply is failing, it will shut down your PC. Also, check your cooling fans, and your cases airflow. Excessive heat will also cause your PC to shut down randomly as well. Clean out the dust bunnies inside your case, make sure all your fans are working, and the air is flowing over your CPU

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:49 PM

My XP PC Shuts Off Randomly & Often. What could be causing this & how can I fix it?

ThankU, MAXINE

As you can see by the varied resonses there are many causes for such behavior from a computer. If you are unable to diagnose by yourself, please provide us with more info, such as exactly what happens. Does it happen when you are starting the computer or after it has been on for a while? Always at the same amount of time? Do you get a blue screen or any error messages? Any other buggy behaviour from this computer? Etc,.... the more info the merrier!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 mkb4321

mkb4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

I want to thank you all for your help. I found out that my laptop just needed more air under it. It was getting too hot, thus causing it to cut off frequently.
Thanks again..
MAXINE

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

If you were not aware, there are devices you can use to keep your laptop running cooler. You could do a google search for laptop cooler, or notebook cooler, and find many different kinds.

There is one example of a notebook cooler HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

I would try to find something that plugged into an ac outlet rather than one that takes power from the computer - especially on a laptop which probably has a power supply that is marginal anyway - just built to handle the computer and the components in it.

#13 mkb4321

mkb4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

My goodness, what wonderful help ya'll are! thanks for eveyone's input. I'll be sure to use all this kind help..
><>MAXINE/F/M/1950/Grandma<><

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users