Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File system not recognized / Volume does not contain a recognized file system - Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lawyerman

Lawyerman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:25 AM

A few days ago, I left my computer running while I went out (Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium). When I returned a few hours later, the following message was on the screen from the Windows Boot Manager:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

Whenever I attempted to boot up, even trying to boot into safe mode, I'd receive that message right after I get the initial Windows logo startup screen. I then ran the Win7 Startup Repair tool using the Win7 installation disc. Startup Repair apparently found some disc errors and returned a message to me saying that it was "attempting to fix errors" on the disc (WD 750 GB Caviar Green SATA). Things seemed to be on there way to being fixed as I could see the HD light on and the HD making noises. However, after running that program for over 24 hours I gave up.

I then used the "Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows" to run some diagnostics. The Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics said the disc was fine, but other tools such as Bart's StuffTest v5.1.4 gave me the message, "The volume does not contain a recognized file system." Emsa DiskCheck gave me the message, "Prescan complete: 0 files, 0 folders, 0 bytes in disk files."

Before I try to restore a 2 month old system image or do a clean install, is there anything I can do to recover from this problem on my system volume? (I'm fortunate that most of my files and data are stored on separate HD's.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

The diagnostics can be right, although seeming conflicting...due to the fact that the file system can be screwed up, while the drive itself is functioning perfectly.

Since the O/S rests on the file system...the result can be an unreadable partition on a functional hard drive. But...that normally results in a 24 STOP error.

I can't seem to find any definitive info on E9 STOP errors, but speculation ranges...the fact that it's described as an input/output error...IMO, tends to lend credence to those who assert that it's a cable or something similar impacting partition/drive functioning.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users