Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sfc /scannow does not work

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

When i ran sfc /scannow it asks me to insert the Windows XP Professional SP3 disc which i had already did. I keep clicking on "Retry" but same message keeps coming up. Can someone please help me resolve this annoying problem? Also what i had in mind is if someone can recommend a similar program that does the same task as sfc /scannnow does.

EDIT: Moved to XP forum, more appropriate ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2010 - 01:12 PM.

>Michael ~ Got my Katy Perry Australian concert ticket :3 
System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Asus HD6950 1GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2300+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

I keep clicking on "Retry" but same message keeps coming up. Can someone please help me resolve this annoying problem?

Mind sharing what that message is, so we have a clue of what it might be caused by?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

It says:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now."

I keep clicking on retry but it keeps poping up with that same message.

System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Asus HD6950 1GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2300+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Is this CD...a Microsoft XP install CD...or is it a recovery/restore CD provided by the system manufacturer?

Louis

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

Gigabyte GA-8IPE 1000 Pro2 -W, Intel Pentium 4 3.20GHZ, WD 2x 80GB, DDR-400 2GB. It is a original Windows XP Professional SP3 cd, that i bought from a computer retailer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,094 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

I would try two things:

a. I would run chkdsk /r on the C: partition, before trying to run sfc /scannow.

b. I would ensure that the CD being used is clean. I would rinse with clear water and dry with soft, cotton cloth (T-shirt). When drying, do not wipe in circular or oval motion...go in horizontal/vertical motion across the face of the CD.

Louis

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

I have tried both of your suggestion but it didn't work.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,169 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

I had to do this the first time I ran sfc /scannow, a long time ago. And after I did it, I still had the error message come up and clicked on it hundreds (it seems) of times. But it was working, I just had a ton of errors that needed fixing.

TRY THIS

Every time I ran sfc /scannow I had to sit at my computer and click the error box until it finished. So you may have to do this also.
Hope this fixes it for you. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

I tried the website you suggested and it didn't work. What can i do now???

#10 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

I have a Dell 4700, and get the same result using my Dell XP Pro cd with SP3 slipstreamed. I just keep hitting try again till the whole test is done.
Its the only way my machine will complete the test.
I estimate I hit retry 30 times to get the test comleted. I have assumed it DOES complete, and that that was normal.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

IME, its normal when running sfc /scannow...for the process to pause and the abort/retry/ignore box to appear.

I've always assumed this resulted from inability (for whatever reason) to read the CD inserted.

As I previously explained...I clean the CD...or hit Retry...and the process continues to completion. I've not counted the number of times I hit Retry, I only know that the file which was previously unable to be read/copied...is read/copied.

In the event that these two strategies does not work, I assume that the CD is faulty and use a different one (I have several).

Louis

#12 dfiore

dfiore

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

You could also have a bad cdrom drive. I've had cases where the user doesn't use their drive for months at a time until they really need it. From your cdrom find and copy the i386 folder (the entire folder) to the root of your C drive. when your finished, you'll have:
c:\i386
The simple act of copying these files will tell you if your CDROM is ok or not. If it has trouble copying try pushing in and up a bit on the door front while it's attempting to copy. Sometime when they get old they start going out of calibration and doing this may help.
Also if your CDROM drive letter has changed since installation due to an added drive, Windows may not know where to look. Copying it to the hard drive will help with that. Plus it's much faster.

My first question would be why are you running sfc? Is there a specific error you've been receiving?

Here is a reference link to a bunch of other things you can try, if this doesn't work.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,169 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

I have a Dell 4700, and get the same result using my Dell XP Pro cd with SP3 slipstreamed. I just keep hitting try again till the whole test is done.
Its the only way my machine will complete the test.
I estimate I hit retry 30 times to get the test comleted. I have assumed it DOES complete, and that that was normal.

Like rosiesdad, I had to click but I had to do it TONS of times. How long did you do it? It takes about 45 minutes for my computer to finish, and that's with me sitting here clicking away. I think it may be a fairly normal thing, the error box, and you just may have to try it for a while and see if the progress bar is moving. If not, I'm not sure what to do...sorry.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

How you said "I had to click but I had to do it TONS of times. It takes about 45 minutes for my computer to finish, and that's with me sitting here clicking away. I think it may be a fairly normal thing, the error box, and you just may have to try it for a while and see if the progress bar is moving." That only did a bit of it and then the bar won't move anymore:(

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

You could also have a bad cdrom drive. I've had cases where the user doesn't use their drive for months at a time until they really need it. From your cdrom find and copy the i386 folder (the entire folder) to the root of your C drive. when your finished, you'll have:
c:\i386
The simple act of copying these files will tell you if your CDROM is ok or not. If it has trouble copying try pushing in and up a bit on the door front while it's attempting to copy. Sometime when they get old they start going out of calibration and doing this may help.
Also if your CDROM drive letter has changed since installation due to an added drive, Windows may not know where to look. Copying it to the hard drive will help with that. Plus it's much faster.

My first question would be why are you running sfc? Is there a specific error you've been receiving?

Here is a reference link to a bunch of other things you can try, if this doesn't work.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

My CDROM is working fine and i have other copies of windows xp cd which i tried them but they still didn't work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users