Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Freezes after latest Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 terry2009

terry2009

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:51 AM

Hi This is my first post. I installed the latest 'important update' from Windows on March 30th and from then on I am experiencing OS freezing intermittently & without warning. Everything just freezes, the screen is static the second hand on the clock stops and control alt delete has no effect - the only option is the power off switch. Windows 7 Ultimate has been fantastic with no issues whatsoever and I have been running it without a hitch since October 2009 (Had a full version prior to release from Microsoft that I won in a competition).

This has happened randomly and not during any specific work - PLEASE help! I work as a DJ and use my laptop for the playout system so imagine my horror last night when it happened during a live gig with 1,000 people on the dance floor - it was murder! LOL!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

What was the update? Can you find the KB number?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 terry2009

terry2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

The problem with my computer freezing occured following this update Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 (KB980182)

Installation date: ‎03/‎04/‎2010 7:17 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=182969

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

Try uninstalling it and see if you still get the freezing. We'll worry about the security risks later. All we want to know is whether or not this update is the cause behind this.

If you still get the freezing, then it was caused by something else, and you should reinstall the update. We would then try to figure out what is causing the freezing.

If you don't get freezing....well, I would try to reinstall the update anyway. If you get freezing again, then we know for sure that's what it was...and we'll figure something out....you shouldn't have an unpatched system, but if you can't use it patched, what good does it do you?! :huh:

#5 terry2009

terry2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for your reply - I uninstalled the update and used the comp for the last 24 hours without a hitch! The problem is sporadic so this isn't conclusive but so far no problem with the computer. I've now reinstalled the patch and I am anticipating another 'freeze' any minute!!

#6 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

i dont like MS dictating to me, so i only have updates set for manual download, and i wait a few days and check 2 see if there are any problems before i install them.
PS
the licence validation check is performed everytime you start up, see event log,

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for your reply - I uninstalled the update and used the comp for the last 24 hours without a hitch! The problem is sporadic so this isn't conclusive but so far no problem with the computer. I've now reinstalled the patch and I am anticipating another 'freeze' any minute!!

Well, if you get freezing again, we'll have to see what we can figure out to do about that update....Let me know... :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 10 April 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#8 RockMuncher

RockMuncher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:25 AM

I registered just to say I'm having this exact problem also after updating Windows 7. I'm going to try and disable KB980182 as well and see if that solves it. I'll post my success or failure here.

Last freeze killed my Firefox profiles too, which was... fun. >_<

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

I have KB980182 and have no problems. Just a thought; make sure you are not doing anything else with your computer when you download a KB anything. Always use I.E. It's probably the only thing I.E. does better than Forfire.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

I have the KB980182 update dated 3/31/2010 with Windows 7 Home Premium and have no problems with it installed. And I am using Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385. Is your IE updated to this version number?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

I also have this same update on Vista with no issues.

#12 RockMuncher

RockMuncher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:12 AM

Just a thought; make sure you are not doing anything else with your computer when you download a KB anything. Always use I.E.

Good point... I probably had my media server running in the background, now that I come to think of it.

Well.. as far as an update on computer stability... I uninstalled the security fix and restarted which caused the computer to immediately freeze; then restarted again and haven't had a freeze since. Here's hoping that was the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users