Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007: Capacity, Archive, and Backup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

I run Office 2007. In the past few days I have been receiving a new (to me) message from Outlook. It basically says that Outlook has reached its capacity. I save almost all email, so no wonder.

If I use Outlook's archive feature I think I can free capacity so that Outlook returns to working normally. But how does this affect backup? I normally backup by copying my pst folder to an external harddrive. Would this process also backup the archive?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

you are probably using outlook in caching mode.
the .pst file usually won't report the message, it is your exchange server.

for .pst file size see here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336

to turn of caching mode and save the emails to your .pst only
in outlook go Tools > Account Settings...
double click your exchange account
take check out of Use Cached Exchange Mode

This will download the messages to your pst and remove them from the exchange server.
Otherwise increase your message store size on your exchange server.

If it is actually due to .pst size you will probably want to backup both your .pst file and your archive.pst file to save all your emails

Edited by meuchel, 07 April 2010 - 09:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users