Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix simply will not scan...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 nk-combofix

nk-combofix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hi there - Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

I ran Combofix once awhile ago which seemed to take care of my malware issues at the time. I now have another set of malware-related problems and can't seem to run Combofix successfully. Everything looks OK at first, but it does skip the Windows Recovery Console dialogue box (which I am assuming is because it was installed during my first run). I get to the Combofix blue screen and it says that it is preparing to scan for infected files. This is where I am a bit stuck. Nothing happens. It just 'scans' indefinitely without any progress and I inevitably just end up closing it out. Could someone please advise?

Thanks again!

Nicole

Edited by nk-combofix, 31 March 2010 - 03:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

With that said, did you remove the old version you previously used and download the most current version?

Depending on how badly your system is infected, ComboFix may take longer to complete its routine than it normally does. However, there are circumstances ComboFix will hang or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable any other real-time protection tools and CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) so that it does not complete successfully. While that is not normal behaviour, it is not unusual. In such cases, it is helpful to know at what stage CF stalled and to provide that information to the Helper who is assisting you so they can investigate. If you don't know and it still appears to be struck, frozen or failed to reboot, then try this:

Open Task Manager and look for the following ComboFix related processes:
  • PEV.exe
  • NirCmd.cfxxe
  • PEV.cfxxe
One at a time, right-click and select End Process. If doing that did not free ComboFix and allow it to continue, then you will need to reboot the computer manually.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 nk-combofix

nk-combofix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

Thanks. I ended pev.exe which enabled combofix to start the scan process. However, now it is stuck again. I see that stage 47 has been completed and it's been stuck on this stage for about 30 minutes. Any help would be appreciated.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,774 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

Try repeating the steps you did the last time or do this.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the Malware Response Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the Malware Response Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,462 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/306321/combofix-log/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users