Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install new Anti-Virus (Runtime Redib. Kit)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pgiambat

pgiambat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hey everyone, I'll try to keep initial post short.

Computer: Dell Inspiron, P4 3.0 Ghz, Win XP with Media Center, svc pak 3.

Main problem: I cannot install ANY new Anti-Virus programs.

I currently use Avira. I can un-install and re-install Avira 7 all day long but they are not updating version 7 anymore and are currently on 10.

I've tried Avast, AVG and MS Security Essentials all with the same result.

I'll attach a screen shot of the error message as well as typing it here:

Dialog Box - "Setup of Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus"
============================
Installation of the Microsoft Runtime Redistributable Kit has failed.

The probable cause is a Windows update running in parallel.
Please check whether a Windows update is in progress and run Avira Antivir Personal - Free Antivirus setup again a little later.

If the installation fails again, please contact Avira Support.

Setup will close.

[ OK ]
============================

Today I ran a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and found/removed 31 items but that did not do the trick. I tried running the Avira 10 install and got the same error.

My inner Capt. Obvious is telling me to investigate getting hold of the latest 'Microsoft Runtime Redistributable Kit' or maybe I have it and it's damaged.

I'll stop here for now.
As many say... any help is GREATLY appreciated !!!

Pat G.
Omaha NEAttached File  InstallError_02.jpg   57.55KB   13 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 33,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Today I ran a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and found/removed 31 items but that did not do the trick.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users