Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access desktop icons or start menu programs without using "Open With" prompt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phelan

Phelan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hi everyone! Name is Phelan here. Here are the stats on my computer in case this helps you figure out what's wrong with my computer:

-----------------------
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Model: HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83Ghz

Memory: 3.00 GB

Hard drive: 250 GB

System-type: 32-bit Operating System

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1) - I know, I know... boo, hiss, etc. But I'm a poor college student and I don't have the $50 to get Windows 7 at the student discount price... *sniffs* :trumpet:

Anti-Virus: AVG 9.0 Internet Security
-----------------
I was checking my e-mail and Facebook when my faithful AVG program warned me of a trojan attempting to install itself onto my computer. As usual, I tell AVG to quarantine the trojan and it does like so. *pets AVG*

Now, after I do this, I went to click on "My Documents" and I get a prompt that it says the program can't be found. I click on everyone of my desktop icons and I get the same message. I try to access a few programs from the start menu and I was able to access the control panel and check out my programs list. I scroll through the list and see a program that disguised itself as an HP program. It has a bunch of symbols like this, &///##@, so I knew it was a virus. I uninstalled it and right away, AVG picked it up and I quarantined what apparently was another trojan.

Since I couldn't access any of my programs, I went to my college dorm's computer lab, downloaded a mozilla firefox installer onto my USB drive, and then went back to my computer. When I try to run the program, the "Open With" window prompt came up and I had to locate my USB drive, then click on the Mozilla Firefox installer. The installer ran fine and I finally can access the internet and my desktop icons and start menu programs, but there's one slight, teensy weensy problem. I get the "Open With" prompt window every time I want to access something on my computer. What's infuriating is that I can use the icon to "run" the program I want to access. (For example, click My Documents, "Open With" prompt opens, browse for My Document icon on desktop, and tah-dah! My Documents opens up). Talk about taking the long way around... :flowers: :thumbsup:

So, I know my computer is infected with some type of trojan, but what kind exactly? I mean I had a virus wipe my hard drive clean once (very painful), but nothing like this. As of this post, I am currently running an AVG scan of my whole computer (it's going to take 3 hours for it to finish). I run complete anti-virus scans on my laptop daily to keep my precious baby healthy, keep up with the Windows updates, and update my anti-virus daily. For extra measure, I ran a HiJack log after the incident, but it's been years since I've read one of these babies. Can anyone help me out here? I need this laptop to last me as long as possible. Thanks! :inlove:

P.S. I can't close tabs on my Mozilla Firefox browser either. I think this virus has something to do with that...

EDIT 9:03 a.m. central time: My AVG finished scanning my whole computer and found only 4 infections which it healed then removed, but I still cannot access my desktop icons or start menu programs without using the "Open With" prompt.

Edited by Phelan, 23 March 2010 - 09:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

It sounds like you have one of the programs listed here.

Please follow the instructions posted there and post the results of your Malwarebytes scan.

We will continue from there.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 Phelan

Phelan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

Here are the results of my scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3905
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18828

3/24/2010 1:36:05 AM
mbam-log-2010-03-24 (01-36-05).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 348383
Time elapsed: 11 hour(s), 25 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command\(default) (Hijack.StartMenuInternet) -> Bad: ("C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Local\ave.exe" /START "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe") Good: (iexplore.exe) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
---------------------------------------------

Malware Anti-Bytes found the infected item and I was able to remove it from my computer officially after I restarted it. I can access my desktop icons now as well as my start menu programs. Is there anything else I need to do?

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

Please perform a scan with Eset Onlinescan (NOD32).
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista Users be sure to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
  • You will see the Terms of Use. Tick the check-box in front of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?" (OnlineScanner.cab)".
  • Answer Yes to install and download the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start.(the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, check: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan to start the online scan. (this could take some time to complete)
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • Now click Start > Run... > type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the log results in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn\ them back on after you are finished
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 Phelan

Phelan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

Here are the results of the scan:

C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Local\Temp\jar_cache1578395702397868719.tmp probably a variant of Win32/Agent trojan deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\13\44944dcd-2b5ffdf6 OSX/Exploit.Smid.B trojan deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\29\37abc01d-22013a17 multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\54\6e49cf76-68b75b24 a variant of Java/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NAA trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

I had the ESET program delete the quarantined files. Should I run a scan with my AVG anti-virus program?

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

Ok. We're looking good. I'd like you to run a few more things and post the logs when complete please.

SAS, may take a long time to scan
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
  • First
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

* Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
* Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
* TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
* Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 Phelan

Phelan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

Here is the log from SuperAntiSpyware:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/27/2010 at 05:16 PM

Application Version : 4.34.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 4596
Trace Rules Database Version: 1978

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:46:10

Memory items scanned : 287
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 8864
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 32751
File threats detected : 69

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@tacoda[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][6].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@hitbox[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@imrworldwide[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@apmebf[6].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][5].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@mediaplex[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@insightexpressai[6].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@zedo[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@eyewonder[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@atwola[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@questionmarket[4].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][6].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@doubleclick[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@revsci[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@lfstmedia[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][5].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@advertising[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@specificclick[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@statcounter[6].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@pointroll[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@adinterax[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@adinterax[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@adinterax[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@insightexpressai[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@insightexpressai[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@insightexpressai[4].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@insightexpressai[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@adinterax[5].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@apmebf[4].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@apmebf[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@apmebf[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@apmebf[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@imrworldwide[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@questionmarket[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@questionmarket[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@statcounter[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@mediaplex[1].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@statcounter[4].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@statcounter[2].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@statcounter[3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][4].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][3].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][4].txt
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\munchkin25@tacoda[1].txt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also ran the TFC application and it cleaned out the temp files from my computer. Anything else I need to do?

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:41 AM

Ok, That looks good now. I did notice one thing from the results of your ESET scan. It seems that most of your problems were centered around the version of Java you have installed on your computer.

C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\Local\Temp\jar_cache1578395702397868719.tmp probably a variant of Win32/Agent trojan deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\13\44944dcd-2b5ffdf6 OSX/Exploit.Smid.B trojan deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\29\37abc01d-22013a17 multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Munchkin25\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\54\6e49cf76-68b75b24 a variant of Java/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NAA trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

This is normally caused by an out of date version of Java. So, you need to ensure that your version of Java is the latest.Click here to download JavaRa. JavaRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Simply select "Check for Updates" or "Remove Older Version" to begin.

Once you have finished with updating Java and removing the older versions, you should be ready to go.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users