Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My monitor screen flickers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dsumn

dsumn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hi,
My monitor screen flickers a lot of late.i have changed the refresh rate to 80, but it dint work.My computer runs on 512 Mb Ram,P-IV processor and asus motherboard.any movement on screen triggers the flicker. Even a simple mouse movement as well. It becomes worse when i try to use photoshop or watch movies.I have checked the cables and wires as well, everything is fine.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

well i would say (now correct me anyone if im wrong) either your graphics card is going or your monitor is shot, what is you monitor a LCD Or CRT/big bulky outdated thing.

sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too!

#3 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

It could be either try swaping the monitor if you can first but i would have to agree that it is either the monitor or the graphics card.

#4 dsumn

dsumn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:30 AM

thank you for ur prompt responses. It is a samsung CRT monitor, but its hardly 2yrs old !! i have updated my graphic drivers as well !!pls help

Edited by dsumn, 11 March 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#5 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Did you try to swap the moniter or can't you?

#6 dsumn

dsumn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

Did you try to swap the moniter or can't you?

I m sorry but i cudnt.. i dont have a spare monitor !! any other suggestions.???

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

One way or another you need to prove whether it's the monitor or the computer doing it.

If you can't get hold of a monitor to temporarily substitute, can you try your monitor on another computer? e.g. if a friend has a laptop with an auxiliary VGA connector, they could hook your monitor up as a secondary screen & see if it still flickers.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

Try this - Turn the monitor and computer and speakers off.
Then turn on only the monitor. You should get a test pattern or "Monitor disconnected" "no input" or something.
See if it is fine then.

If so, turn the monitor off. Turn the speakers on and then turn the monitor on.
If it flickers then the speakers are probably too close and causing interference.

This would eliminate the computer.
Post back results
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

Don't forget some "oblivious" items:

Flakey AC power connection to the monitor... wiggle everything and see if you can make a significant change in behavior, either far better or far worse.

1) bad power cord (swap it for another one)

2) bad outlet 'hole' in power strip/surge protector (try another one)

3) bad outlet in wall (wiggle plug, but best check is try a two-prong plug from something that you know plugs in "firmly" elsewhere. If it slides in with very little force compared to what you know is good, replace it. I've had experience with this, especially with the (used to be) 59 cheapo outlets sold by Home Despot.)

The reason I bring this up:

I'm guessing that the OP is probably still running a CRT monitor due to the age of his computer (512 megs RAM and running PhotoShop???). I'm guessing somewhere between '99 and '03 from "P4" and "512". The generation of CRT monitors out at that time could also have "bad caps" (see http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=4)

What's interesting is that bad caps in a monitor may only show up on short power glitches caused by the above problems (and the symptoms are what the OP has). Even though the pooter may live past the same glitch (even with bad caps in the power supply), is because the power loads are totally different.

So it's possibly a "double whammy". I've seen numerous problems with more than one true fault. It's like archaeology, you find one just to uncover another buried under it.

In case you hadn't guessed, I've been both an electrician and an electronic tech (sometimes both at the same time) for years. Two phrases best describe my background; "DC to Daylight", and "Widebanders Do It Till Their Gigahertz".

Edited by Memphis T-shirt, 18 April 2010 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users