Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32:Malware-gen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sijie123

sijie123

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

My computer has recently been infected with a virus called Win32:Malware-gen as detected by Avast! 5.0 . Is occurs when i play Wolfteam (by Softnyx Co. Ltd). before i enter the game (after starting the game in the game room), Avast will pop up and show me the virus being detected. It always appears in my temp folder as a random name like obj2F.tmp or maybe obj3E.tmp and avast will move it to chest, and i will be unable to continue with the game. This only happened a week back. My computer is Windows XP home SP3.
Just a note, my computer had blue screens just recently but i somehow managed fix my system such that the blue screen had gone away. During the blue screen period, my computer will hang when i plug in a thumbdrive or a external HDD. It can also abruptly reboot for no reason. now, I have fixed the blue screen error but the virus is still in my computer. Also, system restore does not work for my computer. That is why i deleted all my system restore data to clean out the virus. (I heard that the virus might be hiding itself there). Can you please help me fix my computer of the Win32:Malware-gen virus? Thank you. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Move to AII and delete duplicate post. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 07 March 2010 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

download malwarebytes anti malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
load it on pc, then let it update sig files and let it perform quick scan. remove whatever it finds. you will be asked to reboot computer, while booting tap F8 key to go into safemode. then do a full scan in there, remove what it finds then reboot and hopefully will clear up your malware for you. hope it helps ;)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,471 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

FWIW: I find that Malwarebytes is no "cure-all" for malware...I suggest that anyone using it follow it up by running a full scan with an updated, reliable AV program, at the minimum.

Louis

#4 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

i always thought that malware would be cleaned by anti malware programs such as malwarebytes anti malware, rather than an anti virus program which cleans virus's etc. but i do know that some av programs have malware removal programs in them as well, thats why i suggested an anti malware program, but i learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Unless something has occurred that I'm unaware of (happens all the time)...there is no program that can possibly be developed to detect and defend against every form of malware.

That is one reason why...a firewall is essential...a reliable, updated AV program is essential...and ancillary programs like Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware should be considered for normal use on a system.

Another thing to consider...all defense mechanisms against malware are reactive (for the most part) in nature. To assume that one has the most current database and defends against all the malware variations which exist...well, I find that hard to believe.

Since an AV program and firewall are the most basic forms of system defense, I treat them as such.

And...Malwarebytes is not an AV program, as some seem to think. It is a very good antimalware program and I don't believe it's scope is intended to replace the other protective features which should be installed on a system.

I've been wrong before :thumbsup: and I'm certainly not any sort of authority on malware (or anything else). I try to learn as I go along.

Louis

#6 sijie123

sijie123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

the case of the virus has been resolved. Admins, you may close this thread now.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,013 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

sijie123, if there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7 and Disk Cleanup in Vista.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#8 mangacharo

mangacharo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

I can not do a System Restore! when I click on it, I get the window: OPEN WITH, Choose what program to use to open this file with! I AM GOING INSANEEEEEEEEE, I do not know what kind of *&%#@*& virus or malware or spyware I got.

Edited by mangacharo, 08 March 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#9 mangacharo

mangacharo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

I can not do a System Restore at all, I get the "OPEN WITH", Choose what program to use to open this file with, I AM GOING NUTS!!!!!!!! I got some *&^%$#@ virus or malware or spyware I just do not know what to do . Any help please?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,013 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hello mangacharo

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff

#11 mangacharo

mangacharo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

I did open a new topic but nobody has replied in almost a whole day and it looks to me that you know your stuff, besides, I do not even know how to find the topic I posted, since I read about this problem being solved, I did not think I was going to intrude into anything, much less do away with etiquette or be rude. But thank you anyway.

#12 morgan4

morgan4

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

I can not do a System Restore! when I click on it, I get the window: OPEN WITH, Choose what program to use to open this file with! I AM GOING INSANEEEEEEEEE, I do not know what kind of *&%#@*& virus or malware or spyware I got.

As soon as you turn your system on (I wait for the vendor logo to appear), click F10 which takes you to restore mode before you're even at your desktop where the virus will sense you've logged on.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,013 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

Please be patient. While I understand your frustration, staff members are all volunteers and we assist other members as well as you when time permits. No one is paid for their work or assistance to members of our community. We have jobs in the real world, families and other commitments so we are not logged into the forums all day long. As such, sometimes a topic thread will get overlooked when requests for assistance get backed up. I have replied to both your topics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users