Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Vs Avira

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

I am trying to find a new free antivirus thing for my computer and I have heard positive things about these two. I saw on one website that one was better than the other and then the complete opposite on another. Is one truly better or is it more preference?

Which one is more of a resource hog because I would like to keep my computer as speedy as possible.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hello LazyMan826,

My personal choice here would be Avast.

A very good article below which should help.
Avira vs avast! vs AVG

:thumbsup:
Regards,
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Cool, thanks for that.

It seems avast has a lot of mutliple scanners. If i wanted to run another program like spybot or malware, which of the real time shields do I have to disable?

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

I think Spybot may have had its time in the limelight, see HERE.

I'm guessing the other program you mentioned 'malware', you mean malwarebytes anti-malware (MBAM). There have been reports of conflicts between MBAM's real-time scanner and the latest Avast, version 5. You may need to browse MBAM's or AVAST's forum for the latest update on this.

The FREE version of MBAM should co-exist fine with Avast 5.
Regards,
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hello LazyMan826,

My personal choice here would be Avira.

I can't show you a very good article about it but I'm telling you from my own experience.
I have tried avast at first, it kinda seemed like a spaceship to me.
Avira is less resource hog than avast.
The only problem that avira has is its slow/not working updates. But that was months ago now it seems they've fixed that.

I have been using avira 1.5 years now and never had any problems with viruses.

#6 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

personally i like avira i used avast for like a month or two but then tryed out Avira and decided that i liked it better just be careful Avira does have a few false postives like on my old computer that i was using to test out the diffrent antivirus programs it detected the main program in Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge to be a virus even though it is not :thumbsup: But i would recommend Avira but just to toss in another one if you are looking for ease of use,Microsoft Security Essentials, i have put it on family members computers just so that they have something and it never bothers them which is good. It is a bit worse than Avira in my opinion but it is free and does not have the popup ad after the update like Avira. :flowers:

#7 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

reddawn: never heard that before about spybot...interesting. I still like its advanced features though so I will probably just keep it around.
Mbam is exactly what I was talking about...but I don't plan on having any of their real time functions activated. I would only have avasts features running at one time. How would I disable avasts real time so i could run spybot or whatever? There is like 5 or 6 different things so do I have to disable all of them? Thanks for the help so far.

Beenthere: It is funny how you say avast is a resource hog because I just read avira is. I am so confused! lol

matt3: microsoft security essentials doesn't seem to have as a good as a detection rate but I could look into it some more. It can bother me all it wants, I kind of know a few things about computers so I think I should be able to deal with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

#8 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

It's been a while since I've used Spybot, but you should be able to run it alongside Avast5 just fine. If there's going to be any trouble, my guess is it will come from Spybot's Teatimer.

To temporarily disable Avast;

(I'll have to go from memory here as I don't have Avast on this computer)

Right-click the Avast icon in your taskbar, click Stop On-Access Protection.

To turn it back on, right-click the icon again, then click start.

Hopefully someone with Avast will be able to provide precise instructions.
Regards,
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Lucaso

Lucaso

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

Hi,LazyMan826
i recommend you Avast, which is better among these antivirus programs, it can give your computer real-time protection and also it has anti-spam filter and a built-in firewall I just use it for some time,it really performs great!

Edited by Andrew, 06 March 2010 - 09:57 PM.
Mod Edit: Corrected hyperlink - AA

#10 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:51 AM

Beenthere: It is funny how you say avast is a resource hog because I just read avira is. I am so confused! lol

Where did you read that?
I have avira on my 8 years old pentium 4 and I don't even feel that I have an antivirus :thumbsup:

#11 duckne55

duckne55

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

Having used both, i have the following to say:
Avira and Avast cons: tonnes of false positives.

Avira VS avast:
i personally found Avast to be a slightly greater resource hog than Avira.
Avira has a much faster scan time.
But i have only used Avira for 3 months, for the 4 years that Avast had protected me, there were no major virus incidents.
decide yourself, from what i read, for the time being, Avira>Avast, but personally i feel that both are excellent anti-virus programmes (better than the crappy AVG anyway) so using either would be perfectly fine.
though i have to say Avast 5 interface is pretty sweet compared to Avira.

#12 NoLuck1000

NoLuck1000

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

I 've tried both and Avira is the better antivirus imho . Avast is heavy on resources and its detection rate is not in the same league as Avira

Check around the net and you'll see

#13 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

matt3: microsoft security essentials doesn't seem to have as a good as a detection rate but I could look into it some more. It can bother me all it wants, I kind of know a few things about computers so I think I should be able to deal with it.

Just another suggestion :thumbsup:

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hi,LazyMan826
i recommend you Avast, which is better among these antivirus programs, it can give your computer real-time protection and also it has anti-spam filter and a built-in firewall I just use it for some time,it really performs great!

Wrong, the anti-spam and built in firewall are only in the paid for version of avast!. The paid version of Avira includes those features as well.

Personally, I would go with whichever you choose, they both have their Pros and Cons, I used Avira for around 3 years, and just recently switched to avast! 5 while it was still in beta. Here is what I found

Cons
Avira: Slow, confusing interface. Updates sometimes don't work, or are extremely slow. Have to babysit it while it scans (it prompts you what to do whenever it finds a virus, yes you can make it automatically quarantine, but that is only AFTER it has found at least 1 virus in the scan)
Avast: Haven't really found many except the scan speed may be just a TINY bit slow, but I am running a very old system.

Pros
Avira: The best detection rates of any free AV, but sadly, also one of the highest false positive AVs.
Avast: Very fast updates, high detection rates, medium level of false positives but definition updates solve this problem quickly.

Both programs have great real-time protection, as well as amazing scan and removal methods.

So again I say, its really down to personal preference because avast or Avira isn't going to stop every virus. Avast might detect a threat that Avira doesn't, or vice-versa.

Edited by xblindx, 06 March 2010 - 10:49 AM.

#15 Lucaso

Lucaso

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:23 AM

I haven't said that avast with anti-spam and built in firewall is free , why you said my answer is wrong, you haven't read the answer carefully!

Edited by Andrew, 08 March 2010 - 08:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users