Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes doesnt like Ad-aware

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

I am currently using both Malwarebytes Anti-malware software (newest free version with latest updates) and Ad-aware pro edition (also latest updates). When I run a scan with Malwarebytes, it marks some components of Ad-aware as trojans.
I found this strange, because I paid for Ad-aware and downloaded it from their website (which was a link from the bleepingcomputer tutorial page about Ad-aware).
Is this something I should be concerned with, or is it just Malwarebytes being overprotective?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

Hello jonnybravo9,

More than likely False Positives. You will need to post MBAM's detection log HERE and have it checked.

:thumbsup:
Regards,
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 7,448 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi jonnybravo9,

I'm interested in which versions of MBAM and AAW you're using? I run both MBAM 1.44 and AAW 8.2 with no problems...

Casey

Edited by Casey_boy, 04 March 2010 - 05:58 PM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

Hey guys,
RedDawn, will do, thanks.
Casey_boy, I have Malwarebytes 1.44 and Adware pro 2.2. I just realised that it's not called "Ad-aware," it's called "Adware," are these actually differednt programs?
I really hope I didn't manage to buy myself a virus....

#5 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Yup, Adwarepro is a trojan....
I hope I at least save some people from making the same mistake...
Thanks RedDawn!

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

jonnybravo9

That is unfortunate, I presume THIS is what you have installed. If you require assistance cleaning your computer, please post in the AII forum.

I found this strange, because I paid for Ad-aware and downloaded it from their website (which was a link from the bleepingcomputer tutorial page about Ad-aware).

This is a little worrying, is THIS the link you followed from the Bleeping Computer tutorial. If so, I would contact Lavasoft HERE and let them know.
Regards,
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,528 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Yes, I would be curious to know the exact tutorial where you got this from?

#8 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

I posted the Malwarebytes scan log on their forum and they helped me clear it up no problem.
Now, as far as where I downloaded it from, I am trying to remember. I can't be sure I actually followed the link from bleepingcomputer, but THIS is the tutorial i was refering to.
I think I may have just googled Ad-aware, and found the fake site from which I got the trojan.
I just downloaded the real Ad-aware by following the link on the tutorial page, so I'm pretty sure that the link is fine.
However, if i remember correctly, the site from which I downloaded the trojan looks almost EXACTLY the same as the real ad-aware site.
I will try and find the site which I originally downloaded it from and post it in a followup.

#9 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Found it.
hxxp://www.adwarepro-2010.com/?gclid=CPjJwf2voqACFZhf2godCH0IaQ
My browser will no longer go to the page, as it says "This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information."
Is the site no longer a threat? I would really hate for other people to have their credit card info taken like mine was...

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 March 2010 - 06:36 PM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB

#10 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 7,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

It definitely it is.

Internet Explorer is trying to protect you from the threat :thumbsup: Just a shame the domain wasn't added to IE's filter before you bought the rogue.

Casey

Edited by Casey_boy, 05 March 2010 - 04:07 PM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,528 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

I dont see a link for that rogue anywhere in the tutorial. In case it slipped in via the ads, I have filtered out the domain. If you cant get a refund and you feel this is a scam, I suggest you contact your credit card company and dispute the charges stating it was a scam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users