Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG vs McAfee Anti-Virus Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shamrock838

shamrock838

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

AVG vs McAfee Anti-Virus Programs:

Iíve had both the AVG and Comcast McAfee anti-virus programs installed on my Dell Vostro 420 desktop (WIN Vista Business) for some months now.

Since mid-month the Vostro has begun crashing during boot-up with error messages suggesting one or more other causes Ė one being a USB connection problem. [I can provide details if interested.]

So, Iím wondering if I should delete either of these anti-virus programs in case they may be aggravating the situation. Which would you choose to keep and why?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

Me personaly i would dump McAfee i had McAfee and it let me viruses and Malware on to my computer it was like there was no Antivirus i deleted almost 200 diffrent pieces of Viruses and Malware
I have no used AVG so i dont know about it but on one of my computers i use avira the only thing is is that when it updates it has a very annoying ad.
I have Kaspersky on all of my other computers. (Ran out of licences for my other computer that has Avira) I like Kaspersky Alot but it is not cheap.
Do not run more than one antivirus at once

Edited by matt3, 01 March 2010 - 05:12 PM.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,780 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

It is strongly recommended NOT to run more than one antivirus program. They can cause conflicts and fight each other for control when a virus is detected on the system which allows the virus to not be dealt with.

I won't use McAfee, I could also get that for free from Comcast and AOL but would rather pay for my ZoneAlarm antivirus/firewall in order to actually have good protection. If I was going to go the free route, it would be with Avira antivirus and ZoneAlarm free firewall or Comodo. Comodo provides both antivirus and firewall in one package for free.

Btw, ZoneAlarm uses the Kaspersky scan engine so I am not really sure how it is any different than Kaspersky other than it costs a lot less. Kaspersky shows to be 59.95 and ZoneAlarm 29.99, although their site says that the regular price of it is 59.99 but that is a crock, I have never seen it cost more than 29.99 in the many years that I have been going to the site. I don't know how much Kaspersky costs to renew each year but ZA is 20.00

Edited by Stang777, 01 March 2010 - 12:40 AM.

#4 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

I won't use McAfee, I could also get that for free from Comcast and AOL...

Acually Comcast just switched to giving people Norton 360 but personally Norton is not that much better than McAfee but has gotten better.

Edit: Type to fast for my own good =)

Edited by matt3, 01 March 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

I do not recommend that you have more than one anti virus product installed and running on your computer at a time. The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
Therefore please go to add/remove in the control panel and remove either McAfee or AVG.

Personally, I would keep AVG, but I am not a fan of either, AVG is a resource hog, and Mcafee has poor detection rates. I would personally recommend uninstalling both AVG and McAfee and installing either Avira or avast!. Both are free and have amazing detection rates
Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by xblindx, 01 March 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#6 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

Personally, I would keep AVG, but I am not a fan of either, AVG is a resource hog, and Mcafee has poor detection rates

completly agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users