Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help! "system call failed" bug

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nsweeney

nsweeney

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hi,

I have a new windows 7 HP laptop and I've been setting up a lot of software on it recently. Now I can't access anything through my start menu--computer, control panel, documents, etc. Explorer.exe just come up saying "system call failed." Basically I can't get to any of my files/programs. I don't think I messed with anything I shouldn't have...a quick google reveals that I could have disabled my rpc net call service but I have no idea what that is.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

Did you try system restore?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 nsweeney

nsweeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

Wow, that was fast :huh:

It booted up normally this morning, so that was a relief. I'm just nervous that this could happen again or is the sign of a larger problem...I shouldn't have bought such a new operating system. Lesson learned.

Anyway, thank you. If it happens again I will repost.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

No problem :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

Making a repair disk is a very important task for you to perform now.

Go to your Control Panel click backup and restore in the list of menu options on the left side of the window look for Create a system repair disk in the window that pops up choose your DVD burner drive, have an empty writeable disk in the drive and click create disk.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 February 2010 - 01:10 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

I would recommend to all with clean, operating properly machines to make a repair disc as MrBruce1959 has posted. Put it in a case so it doesn't get damaged.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

What all did you install?

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Just a thought. IMHO I would run scans with your security programs before making a backup. Your computer needs to be clean of bad things before making a repair disc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users