Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Half Life 2 Offline Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 odb701

odb701

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

I have HL2 installed on my system at home. Since I live in the boonies and don't have access to high speed with the exception of satellite which I won't pay the ridiculous amount of money they want. I am wondering if anyone has played HL2 offline. I went through the installation process and set up a user's account but can't get the game to work in offline mode. I know it states to click the box that say remember password but I can't find that box. Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WOODELF21

WOODELF21

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:09 AM

i may be wrong but i thought you had to be online to register your account im probably wrong my bro set it up but he mentioned something like that ill get him to make a post later
erm erm erm bugger it cant think of one

#3 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

yeah you have to be online to register your account so you will either have to make do without it get internet or maybe go somewhere like a friends that has it and use their internet to register you account
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#4 odb701

odb701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

My fault. I have dialup internet so I set up the account online but I can't play in offline mode. Everytime I try to play offline it errors out and says game is not ready to be played in offline mode.

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:36 PM

Yea, once you buy it and install it, you basacially have to get it activated/registered through steam.

Then you'll have to get all the updates and stuff, which will be required before you can actually play HL2.

Edited by Wizdabest, 07 September 2005 - 02:38 PM.

#6 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

its major pain i wonder why they have done it
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

Yea, I don't know why you're forced to get all the updates, but at least you'll be playing with all the updates fixing many of the major problems.

I don't know if this was said yet, but then after you get all the updates, I think all you have to do is just start up steam without an internet connection and after it fails to connect it should ask you if you want to just start in offline mode.

#8 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

I have dail-up and I can play Half-Life 2 offline, if you don't want steam to keep updating it, open the Play Games menu and right-click on Half-Life 2 and go down to properties. A menu will pop up and it will say Automatic Updates - Always keep this game up to date, you can change it to say Do not automatically update this game. Also you might not have the offline activation code installed on your computer, you need to leave the internet on and steam on, after awhile, the game will be unlocked so you can play it in offline mode. Also to know if offline mode is activated right-click on Half-Life 2 then properties and in that menu, it tells you how much percent of the game is downloaded on your computer. When you fully download the game onto your computer from the discs, I think it is only 75% done. So it could take you awhile to get the offline activation code downloaded onto your computer.

Edited by Fremder, 11 September 2005 - 12:53 PM.

You will not like me if I'm angry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users