Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant copy and paste a video file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fooqair

fooqair

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

I had a failing external hard drive and rescued a copy of James Bond "Man with the golden gun" from it. The drive would start but stop after a few seconds... start again and stop over and over. I saved the movie by freezing the drive overnight and then copy and pasting it to my main computer... I'm running Windows XP with all updated service packs and hot fixes. BTW, the file is a 4.83gig MKV file.

The file is complete and plays in Windows Media Player, MPC and VLC flawlessly. However, I can't copy/cut and paste it to any of my other externals. In fact, I can't move it at all, even to another partition. When I try, the copy/paste dialog box appears and the file shows up at the destination but the transfer freezes within a few seconds. I can't close the dialog box, cancel or click any other command... however, the mouse pointer does move. Ultimately, I have to hard restart the computer.

If anyone knows how I can get this file to move to my external... a WD 1T My Book, I would much appreciate it! My guess would be that it's corrupt, but I watched it all the way through last night and it was perfect. Not a hiccup!

Please help and thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

Only a possible idea!!! Try dragging it rather then copy and paste. I rarely copy and paste files dragging has always worked for me.

Phil

COUGAR SolutionRSB400 tower 400 watt supply Win 7 Pro

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-CF  board Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

16 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800, 64 Gig ADATA SX900 SSD

120 Gig INTEL SS DSC2CT120A3 SSD, Three others up and running

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Check the permissions by right clicking and going to properties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users