Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rkill catches Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eleuvox

Eleuvox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

I was recently infected with Virtumonde. I thought I had gotten rid of it with the rkill/MBAM combo, but it - and other trojans - are occasionally sneaking on. At the moment, AVG Free, MBAM and S-S&D find nothing; sometime in the next few days that will likely change, if previous patterns hold true.

I'm not visiting any websites that would dump anything on to my system, nor downloading anything suspicious.

Before, when I ran rkill, it was in safe mode and Chrome was not running. I tried running it just now, when Chrome was active, and it killed all of the active Chrome processes (I believe there's one ofr each extension.) If there's not one for each extension? Well, there's part of the problem.

I tried uninstalling Chrome, and then reinstalling it. The extensions and bookmarks remained, so the uninstall was clearly a partial one. A little research suggests that Chrome leaves behind a few configuration files and registry keys.

My Chrome is 4.0.249.89 (38071)

My main question is: does rkill always identify this version of Chrome as a malware process? If not, and Chrome is infected in a way that isn't being found by the various programs I'm using, then how can I scrub Chrome completely out of my system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

I have advised Grinler who created Rkill.

A log file should have been created and saved to the root directory, C:\rkill.log
Copy and paste the contents of rkill.log in your next reply.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,967 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

What is the path to chrome?

#4 Eleuvox

Eleuvox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.
Ran as Administrator on 02/17/2010 at 16:24:22.

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\rkill.com

Rkill completed on 02/17/2010 at 16:24:26.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,967 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

Yup...rkill kills exe's running from a user profile. Programs should not be running from a userprofile as they are meant to hold data, preferences, settings, and configuration files.

For some reason, google continues to have their programs execute from within a userprofile.

#6 Eleuvox

Eleuvox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

Is there any way I can make sure that Chrome isn't infected? This stuff is creeping back on somehow. I'm all for alternatives to the programs I'm using, as well. If it helps, I'm getting hit with variations of Virtumonde.prx and Virtumonde.sdn.

Thanks for all of your patience on this.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,967 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

Your concerned its infected because Rkill kills it? If so, then you should not be concerned. You can always double-check by scnaning it at http://www.virustotal.com/

#8 Eleuvox

Eleuvox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

Ah, great tool. I was more concerned because something is continuing to download this stuff to my computer, and the browser exe seemed like a reasonable suspect. Is there another program I should be using outside of AVG Free, MBAM and S&D to ferret this out?

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,967 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

Have you ran Secunia Software Inspector?

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

It could be an outdated app like adobe reader getting exploited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users