Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CR2032 CMOS battery placement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Are all motherboards equal when it comes to proper placement of the CMOS battery? Everything I've read says that the plus sign (+) should be facing up and out, but on the motherboard that I just got done working on there is a diagram on the battery holder that shows the plus sign is supposed to face down. I put the battery in this orientation, and the system booted up fine and is working great. This is kind of bothering me. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

Doesnt matter what way the plus sign faces, as long as its the right way up i.e the writing side up.

#3 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

That's what has me worried, because I have the battery in writing side down, (if I remember right) and it is working fine with no BIOS issues. The date and time are holding, and the system POSTS with no issues whatsoever. Its weird.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

I've always seen the plus-sign...either up or out, so that it's visible to anyone looking down at the motherboard.

If it works, I would not worry about it until I had some sign that I had placed it in incorrectly.

Louis

#5 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

I did get a sign, but not that I had placed it incorrectly. I flipped the battery around, so that the plus sign and the writing were facing up, and the computer would not boot. It said that system memory had changed, and that no boot devices were found. When I put it back in, plus side down, it boots up nicely. I guess I should just chalk it up to one of those things, and get on with it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:32 AM

A working system...is a good system :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users