Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"My Computer" does not detect blu ray drive or media

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kinneyro5

kinneyro5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

I've battled with my blu ray burner for quite awhile now and almost have all the problems worked out, but 1 thing still perplexes me. I can play Blu Ray movies through PowerDVD and autorun picks up the disc as soon as I put it in. I can burn Blu Ray discs but only DVDFab, Imgburn, etc. will recognize the disc. However, when I open "My Computer" to display all my hardware, Windows XP SP3 detects my Blu ray burner as only a CD drive. I would like to be able to browse through the content on a Blu Ray disc through the "My Computer" window, but every time I try to "explore" the disc, a prompt box pops up telling me "Windows cannot read from this disc. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be a format that is not compatible with Windows."

I have deleted all the upper and lower filters in Windows but it does nothing. In the Device Manager, it detects the correct drive type and model number and is correct. All firmware is up to date on the drive as well. Is there anything I can do to allow "My Computer" to detect the Blu Ray discs?

My system specs:
Gigabyte K8u-939 Motherboard
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 ghz processor
4 GB PC3200 Patriot Dual Channel RAM
LG WH08LS20 BLACK SATA LIGHTSCRIBE 8X BLU RAY WRITER
NEC DVD Burner IDE, not sure the model number
WD 320 GB IDE Hard Drive (Primary)
Samsung 1.5TB SATA Hard Drive
5.1 Creative Soundblaster Live Sound Card
XFX 6800XT 8xAGP Video Card 256MB 256bit
650 Watt Antec Power Supply

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

From what I can see...your situation is echoed by various users with blu-ray devices.

Blu-ray Devices and XP..

To me, it's an issue of the nature of blu-ray devices. XP has native support for typical optical drives...but it doesn't seem to have support for blu-ray devices, which fall outside the norm. Because driver/firmware support for these drives comes from the drive manufacturer (not Microsoft), the generic recognition of such seems to take place.

Worth reading, http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/no-...p3-t353428.html.

Louis

#3 kinneyro5

kinneyro5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Louis for the reply.

Now if you can answer this, or if anyone else can it would be greatly appreciated. I am having trouble making .iso's of my Blu Rays to put on a Digital Media Player. I currently have DVDFab which allows me to copy Blu Rays. So far, I haven't found anywhere that DVDFab will output the file into an .iso instead of its' default, which is folders and files. I have tried building an .iso with ImgBurn from the output files from DVDFab but the .iso file that program creates is unreadable on my Digital Media Player. I have tried attempting to let ImgBurn create an .iso on its own and it displays a text box prompt that it can't do so, but then proceeds to build an .iso file, but it is unreadable as well. I have also tried Burn Aware Free but that has yielded unsuccessful results as well.

I know the Digital Media Player supports .iso playback, as any .iso created from a dvd plays back perfectly. I can also play the files created by DVDFab within the folders on the Digital Media Player in full 1080P, but it is a messy process and takes awhile to figure out which file executes that actual movie, as there are nearly a hundred different movie files for each full Blu Ray directory I transfer onto the Digital Media Player's HDD from DVDFab. Any help on a way to make a .iso of a full Blu Ray disc would be greatly appreciated. Or if there is another file format better suited for Blu Ray, that might work as well.

An important note is that any .iso I build through ImgBurn or Burn Aware Free appears to be unreadable by anything. They will mount on Daemon Tools on my computer but will not play through PowerDVD on my computer. Any help would be great as this is the method I would like to watch my Blu Rays as it is much more cost effective than burning a backup copy of each (especially the dual layer ones!) and also makes taking my movies with me a breeze.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kinneyro5, 16 February 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

I can't answer anything related to functioning of blu-ray devices, etc...I don't have such.

Other than the info that can be gleaned by searching the Web, I don't have a resource for knowledge of such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users