Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Won't Detect My DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tycoon_75

Tycoon_75

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:09 AM

Hello,
I have a laptop and after I installed Windows 7, I canít see my DVD drive in My Computer and there isnít an entry in Device Manager for CD/DVD Drives either.
Posted Image
Instead thereís an entry for Mass Storage Controller in Other Devices with an exclamation mark [It states in the properties dialog box of the drivers for this device that ďThe driver for this device are not installed (Code 28).]

My optical drive is TSST Corp SN ĖS082H. Before Windows 7, I had Vista and with Vista my optical drive worked fine. But when I performed a clean install of Windows 7, my DVD drive has gone. Although itís detected in Bios and I can boot my computer with a bootable CD, I canít use it in Windows 7. (Since I can boot my computer with a bootable CD, this shows that issues of a bad optical drive, loose cables or corrosion donít apply in my case.) I tried a number of recommended solutions to fix the problem but nothing seemed to work. For example:
  • I tried uninstalling the Mass Storage Controller and restarted Windows.
  • I tried uninstalling the IDE channel the DVD drive is on and restarted Windows.
  • I tried uninstalling all the IDE controllers and restarted Windows. The result of these three actions was that Windows finds the new device and connects to Windows Update to install drivers but a few moments later it says that there are no drivers found for this device. (As far as I know you donít need drivers for an optical drive.)
  • I uninstalled Nero and restarted.
  • I tried to run Mr Fix it as suggested in Article Kb314060 of MS website but the application said that it is not compatible with my version of Windows and recommended that I run Windows 7 troubleshooter. I did so but at the end the troubleshooter Windows couldnít find the drivers.
  • I tried deleting the registry entries for UpperFilters and LowerFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} as suggested in Article 314060 of MS Support page, but the entries mentioned did not exist in my registry.
    Posted Image
    Posted Image
    Posted Image
    Posted Image
  • I added the multi string value PxHelp20 for LowerFilters in the same registry entry.
  • I merged the following .reg file with my registry and restarted Windows.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

• I ran the following script and restarted Windows.

'Restore CD-Roms and DVD's to Explorer
    '© Doug Knox - rev 04/14/2002
    'Downloaded from www.dougknox.com
    'based on cdgone.reg

Option Explicit
    On Error Resume Next

Dim WshShell, Message

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr\"
    Set WshShell = Nothing

Message = "Your CD/DVD-Rom drives should now appear in Windows Explorer." & vbCR
    Message = Message & "You may need to reboot your computer to see the change."

MsgBox Message, 4096,"Finished!"

• I tried typing in the commands suggested in Article Kb975270 in the command prompt but each time I pressed Enter I received the message ďThe power scheme, subgroup or setting specified does not exist.Ē
Posted Image

On the other hand I can see the name of my optical drive in some registry entries such as:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The hardware of my laptop is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 2.00 Ghz
MB: Intel Corporation MPAD-MSAE Customer Reference Boards
Chipset: Intel 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940
Ram: 2 Gb
HDD: 120 Gb Sata150 NCQ Toshiba
Optical Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVD SN-S082H
VGA: Mobile Intel 945 Express
LAN: o/b Realtek RTL8169/8110
WLAN: o/b Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG
Sound: o/b Realtek High Def. Audio

So, what's the problem with my drive? Can you think of any solutions to this problem? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

Try this:
http://www.bioticaindia.com/tsst-corp-cd-d...ata-device.html

#3 Tycoon_75

Tycoon_75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:21 AM

You need to register to download files and they disabled registering new users to prevent fraud(?).Thanks for the help anyway.

#4 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

sounds like you tried everything but right clicking on the drive and select update driver and then select go online

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hmmm....let me take a shot at this. Let's not overlook the obvious.

1) Go to your computer mfg's site and see if there is a firmware update for your Mass Storage Controller and/or your DVD drive. If so, read up carefully to see if it applies to your situation and apply it. If you can't find it on your laptop site, try the TSST website.

2) When Windows 7 was installed, did the setup block installation of the drivers because it couldn't verify it's digital signature, or was it invalid?
I'm not sure how to over-ride this function, but I think you can do it in the BIOS?

3) Flash your BIOS to the latest version, if applicable.

You said you did a clean install of Windows 7. I assume that means that you formated the drive before installing; essentially removing all data from the drive? If you did an upgrade or installed Windows 7 cleanly but did not re-format and you have a "Windows.old" folder, you may have some leftover junk from Vista which might screw up your devices.
I would always recommend installing cleanly on a formatted partition.

4) Can you see your DVD drive when booting to Safe Mode?

Try these out, and let me know what you come up with.

Cheers. :huh:

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

From what I can find, it looks like you have a Toshiba laptop but I'm not positive. If so, I would recommend looking at Toshiba's site for any IDE/Chipset drivers for your laptop. If you find no joy there, I would take a look at the Intelģ Driver Update Utility. This will automatically check for outdated drivers or missing driver for your system and get them downloaded and installed.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#7 Tycoon_75

Tycoon_75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

I performed another clean installation of Windows 7 (which means formatting the hard drive and installing a new copy of Windows) and my DVD drive was there and it works! I think this is what happened:

I installed Win 7 from my DVD drive and then installed other applications including Nero 7. But after checking their website I found out that Nero 7 is not compatible with Win 7 so I uninstalled Nero 7 and installed Nero 9. This is when my problem began. I believe after I uninstalled Nero 7, it left my system in such a state that it couldn't recognize my DVD drive because it changed some settings in the registry or something.

I installed a new copy of Windows 7 and my DVD drive is up and running. Thanks everyone for help.

Edited by Tycoon_75, 24 March 2010 - 04:35 AM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:30 AM

I performed another clean installation of Windows 7 (which means formatting the hard drive and installing a new copy of Windows) and my DVD drive was there and it works! I think this is what happened:

I installed Win 7 from my DVD drive and then installed other applications including Nero 7. But after checking their website I found out that Nero 7 is not compatible with Win 7 so I uninstalled Nero 7 and installed Nero 9. This is when my problem began. I believe after I uninstalled Nero 7, it left my system in such a state that it couldn't recognize my DVD drive because it changed some settings in the registry or something.

I installed a new copy of Windows 7 and my DVD drive is up and running. Thanks everyone for help.

This happened with Roxio versions 4 and 5 with XP when it came out. It caused a mess of issues.

Next time install an older OS, and run the upgrade advisor.

Edited by cryptodan, 24 March 2010 - 05:30 AM.

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 480 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

Glad you got your issue solved....
Lesson learned? Never install software that isn't compatible with your OS. :huh:

It would be very wise to make a backup of the registry using ERUNT before installing complex software like NERO. Then, if you ever want to uninstall the software, you would do the usual thing and then RESTORE the registry you saved before installing in the first place. This will remove all traces of the software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users