Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is yontoo layers client?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#16 MikeF12

MikeF12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Just removed this for a customer last week. It was giving him problems with IE 8 on Vista, popping up Insecure Content Warnings every time he used online banking, and a couple other things. He didn't know how it got there, never used PageRage and didn't want to start. It seemed the thing had got installed with something else, which on the face of it, makes it less than a desirable program.

Programs and Features, (Should be called Add/Remove Programs: whenever MSFT gets something right they never fail to change it) then removed Yontoo Layers as the gentleman above described. Then searched the registry for Yontoo and removed fifteen or so entries. Then searched his hard drive for same and removed three or four folders. That seemed to do it.

For personal use, removing it with Revo Uninstaller should probably suffice. Revo is better than Programs & Features, or Add/Remove Programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 serendip80

serendip80

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

I just disabled the Yontoo add-ons because i suddenly was getting those spurious little underlined words, which usually end up linking to other articles or pop-up definitions of the word, but with Yontoo, it would bring up generally unrelated or barely related web site links as adverts. Malware, maybe not. Spamware or tracking cookies? I would say definitely so; if not directly a problem, then indirectly could easily be so. Bad ju-ju.

#18 D'Aun

D'Aun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Glad I found this posting. I was looking for a Youtube downloading........... .

I always say if all else fails read the fine print!! I am on my way there now---->

Thanks!

D'Aun

@billidaunsb

Edited by D'Aun, 11 March 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#19 SteveDallas

SteveDallas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

I disinfect PCs for a living. As far as I am concerned, Yontoo is malware and it is spyware. Why? It installs without asking permission,
does irritating things to your browsers and collects information about whereyou are browing.
I consider it a browser hijacker in some ways. It is not easy for an end user to remove.
To uninstall it go to your control panel and uninstall it. Then use msconfig and see if it's in there. Finally run Hijackthis and remove
it's entries there. Now run CCleaner, run the cleaner part and then run the registry scan to remove it there. Restart your PC.
I recently had it install itself silently on one of my PCs just from visiting a website to look around.
I do not have a Facebook account and never did - never will, so it did not come from there.

#20 alley600

alley600

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

I also am not able to remove this program. tells me setup error. I have no clue how this got on my computer let alone how to remove it. And my adware program tole me it is malware.
Figure I will go back to factory settings and protect myself. Unless someone can tell me how to get rid of this. It posts unwanted sales ads on my facebook page.

#21 SirNicoli

SirNicoli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Any program that doesn't allow you to remove or unistall it via your Control Panel Uninstall application is already suspicious in my book. Be wary of Yontoo.

#22 Spudie

Spudie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi guys!

Firstly, id like to let you know that i didnt know there were extensions for the browsers until today. Even more, I dont have clue about any of the programs or websites you are mentionioning but McAffee. 

How did i end up here then? Anoying adds in youtube playing noises that couldnt be turned off. Evenmore, when u pressed the "off" buton, it would work as a link to the advertisers site and the freaking noise would keep going on.

This was so anoying that i started researching in google and learn about the extensions and then i found as you are the second result in google for "add yontoo"... no need to finish the story.

I went to the extension settings in my  browser (chrome) and deleted the yontoo extension. no more anoying adds since then.

#23 areddesign

areddesign

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

It is just that, malware other wise known as a VIRUS!!! Don't take what these liars say on these forums that it's fine and they checked with their various virus detectors, this crap is on Mac and PC. They are either an owner, part owner or have some monetary stake in that operation. Just research and do more research until you find you're own answers, you know when something's wrong in your gut, trust that knowledge always! I had to Block my 3rd party Cookies and Remove All Website Data after Yontoo (and a few others) wouldn't remove their so called 'Advertising Graphic Layer'. Talk about a big hint that they were as phony as a web survey for a free iPad.  And just to nudge you along, here is SOME of what I found: 

FROM: arstechnica.com Apple blocks ad-injecting Mac trojan, Yontoo Don't lift a finger: Yontoo has been added to OS X's built-in protections.

by Jacqui Cheng - Mar 22 2013, 4:17pm CDT

A day after Russian anti-virus firm Doctor Web highlighted an adware Mac trojan called "Yontoo," Apple has moved to block it. Confirmed by Intego, Apple has updated the definitions included in OS X's Xprotect.plist in order to detect the adware, meaning users don't need to run anything special in order to be protected.

"In testing, it appears this detection is very specific and potentially location-dependent," wrote Intego. "This extra specificity is likely there so as to catch only the surreptitious installations of this file."

As we wrote on Thursday, the Yontoo adware socially engineers users into installing it as a browser plugin. Once it's installed into Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, the plugin injects advertising into the websites you're visiting—including those that don't even normally show ads.

The plugin poses a risk not just because it's annoying to see third-party ads where they don't belong, but because those behind the trojan could inject other malicious code. (The same trojan exists for PC users as well) But now that Apple has added Yontoo to the built-in malware protections in OS X, it's a lot less likely that Mac users will end up accidentally installing it.

#24 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 53,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

They are either an owner, part owner or have some monetary stake in that operation.

I am no (co-)owner of Yontoo nor do I have any monetary gain from, or am I affiliated in any way to them. However some distinction need to be made here.

The problem with Yontoo isn't so much what the program does; or that it can't be uninstalled, the problem is that it is included in many download wrappers that do not offer clear opt-out possibilities and/or links to EULA and policies. That way people do not realize they opt for Yontoo (or whatever other sponsor product) and end up with a browser extension/application they don't want.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

#25 jimpeel

jimpeel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

When one goes to the website for yontoo (http://www.yontoo.com/) the posted message is

Thank you for your interest in Yontoo. This product has been discontinued.

#26 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

It is a bad virus. For some reason, Google Chrome downloads it by itself without me even doing anything.

#27 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 53,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

It is not a virus at all, it is mostly considered potentially undesired/adware. That is because of the way it ends/ended up on systems, not because of any damage it does. Because Yontoo is discontinued there seems no further purpose to this topic for which reason I will lock it. 

If you require help removing this other other adware/malware, please start a separate topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users