Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is yontoo layers client?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 idiomtangent

idiomtangent

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

Is this is legit program or a virus?

The computer I am on runs Vista and IE.

Every single webpage I go to the yellow bar up top says "this website wants to run the following add-on "Yontoo LAyers Client for Internet Explorer" from "Yontoo Technology, Inc, (unverified publisher)"

I do not trust this and can not find any info about it online that is not on the Yontoo webpage.

If it is not safe, how do I get rid of it?

I ran malewarebytes but everything came out clean.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 53,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hello, since no logs were posed, I moved your topic to the Am I Infected forum. Please do NOT post any logs, unless requested.

Did you look in add/remove programs if there is anything related to Yuntoo?
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

#3 socialstacy

socialstacy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yontoo seems to be an application for Facebook. This application has been fine in the past, and is a safe tool.

Just in case, though, I'd update their software. I think you can do it here: http://yontoo.com

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 53,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hello, that is not entirely true.

See here for an explanation.

This application is open to debate. However, it is not plain malware either.
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

#5 GoGoGadget44

GoGoGadget44

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

As an avid user of PageRage, which is powered by the Yontoo Layers software, I have not encountered any kind of issue in relation to virus attacks, malware and/or spyware. Yontoo Layers is quite simply, a browser plugin that many use to gain access to free facebook layouts via the site. McAfee Site Advisor has tested this site and has found no significant problems in relation -> http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/yontoo.com Also, the Wikipedia background on the PageRage app gives a pretty good outline of what the product and software entails, check it out -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRage

#6 Golden Sun God

Golden Sun God

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

I use Vista 64-bit and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.17 and I never downloaded Yontoo and all of a sudden one day on my AVG scan it shows up as malware, so I would say that it most definetly is malware.

#7 Verminard

Verminard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

Just a little side note Spybot S&D definatly considers this to be malware, including Pagerage

#8 the Washboard

the Washboard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

As an avid user of PageRage...

You seem to be a spokesperson for the company PageRage.

Yontoo Layers is quite simply, a browser plugin that many use to gain access to free facebook layouts via the site.

Wrong, Yontoo is an unnecessary program that doesn't register within IE. That means it's probably tapping into more than just Internet Explorer's functionality. And is also why it won't work in Firefox, Chrome, etc... too secure.

Making an in-browser plugin for those browsers would not allow Yontoo as much control over their users' desktops, thus they don't want to invest in it... just a guess.

McAfee Site Advisor has tested this site and has found no significant problems in relation -> http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/yontoo.com

MyWOT rates Yontoo as a gray-area site, not safe enough to recommend.

Also, the Wikipedia background on the PageRage app gives a pretty good outline of what the product and software entails, check it out -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRage

Wikipedia is only as good as the team of biased people who get onto their pages and defend their content to the death.

I'm just a first-time poster too, but hopefully not the only one who can see through this BS. Where Yontoo is, spyware tends to be too.

#9 technicalcity

technicalcity

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Yontoo Layers Client has been on three of three computers brought in with severe malware problems this week. Its obviously not responsible for all the problems, but sometimes these marginally to completely useless programs (can you say toolbar) bring or find seriously heavy baggage for your pleasure. Multiple programs consider it malware. I know this will invite world consuming flames, but Yontoo Layers Client is for Facebook which was invented by someone who appears to have been a greedy, lying anti-social thief. Have a nice day.

#10 pitchman

pitchman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

This is the problem I'm having. My computer is having trouble getting online. So I take out programs that may be causing this. I get to yontoo and it won't allow me to remove it, which indicates there is a problem. does anyone have any ideas as to how to uninstall yontoo?

Edited by pitchman, 21 December 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#11 pitchman

pitchman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

I have gone to uninstall it over the last month or so and just can't

Edited by pitchman, 21 December 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#12 KristyLoggs679

KristyLoggs679

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

I have gone to uninstall it over the last month or so and just can't

The software isn't spyware, if you say it is, can you prove it? I use the software for the pagerage app and actually enjoy it.

Here are directions on how to uninstall (available on their website):

How to Uninstall

To uninstall PageRage you must uninstall Yontoo Layers™ (the software that allows you to place the PageRage layouts on top of your existing profile.)

From Internet Explorer and Firefox on a PC: Go to the Windows Start menu on your computer and then to Control Panel > Add/Remove ("Programs & Features" in Vista & Windows 7) and click "Remove" next to "Yontoo Layers."

From Firefox on a Mac: In the top menu, go to Tools > Add-ons. Select the Yontoo Layers logo and then click Uninstall. Note: You cannot uninstall PageRage from a PC with these instructions; see the steps above for uninstalling PageRage from a PC.

How to Uninstall PageRage Toolbar
To uninstall the PageRage Toolbar from Internet Explorer on a PC: Go to the Windows Start menu and then to Control Panel > Add/Remove ("Programs & Features" in Vista & Windows 7) and click "Remove" next to 'PageRage Toolbar'.

To uninstall from Firefox on a PC: Go to the Windows Start menu and then to Control Panel > Add/Remove ("Programs & Features" in Vista & Windows 7) and click "Remove" next to 'Yontoo Layers'.

Note: There is currently no way to uninstall the PageRage Toolbar from Firefox on a PC without also uninstalling Yontoo Layers, but it is possible to Disable the PageRage Toolbar, which will have the same effect as uninstalling (see instructions below).

To uninstall from Firefox on a Mac: In the top menu, go to Tools > Add-ons. Select the Yontoo Layers logo and then click Uninstall.

#13 dirtygremlin

dirtygremlin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

Avoiding any philosophical argument about what defines malware, harmful, etc., Yontoo created one problematic situation for me. I couldn't install Microsoft Security Essentials until Yontoo was uninstalled. Trial and error showed that Yontoo presented itself to MSE as an existing security program, which I am pretty confident it is not. 2 cents and first post; thanks for the helpful advice on here.

#14 kthtl

kthtl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials came up with a message 'Real Time Protection Disabled' so I immediately ran 'Spybot' and it detected Yontoo as malware. I removed Yontoo and real time protection was restored automatically without me having to do anything.

Do not think that there is anything else to say about it.

#15 Ignotus

Ignotus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

Glad I found this posting. I was looking for a Youtube downloading addon for Firefox and came across what appears to be a good one called Best Video Downloader. It requires Yontoo Layers. I was reading through their privacy policy at http://www.bestvideodownloader.com/privacy and saw some things that made me think twice. They claim that the Yontoo Layers software doesn't collect personally identifiable information, but it DOES track you and the sites that you visit and shares them with third parties.

Yontoo may collect and analyze your usage patterns such as which sites you visit, that are not personally identifiable. These non-personally identifiable data are used to improve Yontoo’s services, and may be shared with third parties.

It also says:

Once you have installed Yontoo Layers, each time you load or refresh a page in one of the Yontoo supported browsers, a request will be made to a Yontoo owned server to determine whether or not you have enabled any Services for the domain you are currently browsing.

That to me sounds like they are getting data for every domain you visit. I'm passing on the Youtube downloader. Personally identifiable or not, I don't want anything submitting my page visits to Yontoo. Reading this thread just reinforced my decision. Thanks!
:thumbup2:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users