Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo Trojan Won't Let Me Open Anti-Malwarebytes!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SoXfused

SoXfused

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

I was on a website when all of the sudden my real-time Anti-Malwarebytes displayed a message saying that I had some trojan called Vundo (or something like that). So I went to open Malwarebytes to do a scan, and it turns out it was completely deleted off of my computer! :flowers: So I went to the Malwarebytes website to download it again, and now it won't even install on my computer! Also, when I get on the internet, I am now getting pop-ups and redirected to different sites.

What should I do? :thumbsup: Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 krabagobanjo

krabagobanjo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

Firstoff, try and get your hands on a clean computer (WITH antivirus software) and a flash drive.

Secondly, since it's downloaded, install by renaming the "mbam" setup file to something random, anything will do. If it installs, but does not run, go into the Malwarebytes directory (C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware [I think]). Go to Tools>Folder Options (in the menu) and "Show file extensions for known filetypes." Then, rename (mbam.exe [again, guessing]) to something like "blah.com" This should theoretically fool the malware and allow you to run the software and remove a bunch of the junk that is plaguing you.

Now, by the looks of it you should try using other anti-malware programs as well. Downloading Avast 5 free will allow you to schedule a "boot-time" scan which I highly recommend you utilize so as to insure malware can be caught before it loads. Spybot Search&Destroy, Ad-Aware, Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG Free, and Avira Anti-Vir Personal are all feasible and recommended choices to run.

And, as with the malwarebytes executable, if any of the above setup programs refuse to run, rename the executable! This can fool the malware!

If you need any more help, just ask.

#3 SoXfused

SoXfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Well, I must be really screwed, because I did everything you said, and it still won't run. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users