Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA hard disk drive 1 failure on bootup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sucosam

sucosam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hi folks,

I was working on my pc the other day when it kind of locked up on me. No combo of key strokes could resolve it, so I was forced to do a hard reboot by pressing and holding the power button until it shut off. When I hit power to bring it back up, I saw the Dell splash screen with the options for F2 (setup) and F12(boot menu), then I heard 6 clicks, a short pause, then 2 more clicks. Shortly after I get the message:

SATA Primary hard disk drive 0 failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

I press F1 and got a message saying that it could not find the boot sector.

I tried hooking this drive up as a slave with a known good hard drive as the master, but I hear the same clicking and it doesn't work. The drive is a Western Digital WD2500JS. I went to their website and downloaded a diagnostic ISO file and put it onto CD and loaded it into the drive and booted up. After a few minutes of no data on the screen it came up with this message:

"Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.txt!!!

Please make sure that the License Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE"

I put the disk into another computer and checked the contents of the disk. There are only 5 files:
DLGDIAG5.EXE
DLGDIAG.txt
DLGLICE.txt
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM

The first file is not a typo, there is a 5 at the end of the filename. Maybe if I corrected this first before burning to disk? but how to do this and still have it be a bootable CD?

The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX620 running Windows XP Pro SP2. Is it possible to still get data off of this disk prior to doing any kind of reload or formatting?

Thanks for all responses,

Sucosam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:05 AM

Download a Linux ISO (Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix are all OK) and
create a live CD to boot with and transfer your files to an external source.

#3 sucosam

sucosam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

So what is it the Ubuntu (or the others) will do for me? Does it install Linux over top of windows? or is it a diagnostic tool? I went to a site to download a Ubuntu ISO, so I can create a CD, but what happens once I insert and boot from it?

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

No, it is a 'live' cd and the OS will run from the CD, without interference from Windows.
It's a bit slow to load, but that's only to be expected.

Set the boot option in the BIOS to start with your CD/DVD drive.

You just choose the menu option to 'run from CD' rather than install.

What's included in the distribution depends on which one you choose.
Read the information at the relevant site for full details as to what you
can and can't do.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

You could also simply remove the hard drive in question...and attach it as a secondary drive on a known good working system...then move data files from A to B.

If the second system is unable to view files on the drive, an alternative would be to use data-recovery software of some type.

My experince with mechanical problems on a hard drive...the hard drive could be become useless at any time, so move valued data ASAP.

Mechanical problems with a drive...tend to make it unreliable/useless for future use.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#6 sucosam

sucosam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

Louis, thx for the tip. I had actually tried using the harddrive from another pc and connecting the 'clicking' one on the second SATA drive, but I ended up with the same result. I still heard the clicking and got the same message. I would have though that I'd see the desktop and files for the 'good' drive and maybe see the 'clicking' drive as a D partition or something. It could be that there are jumpers required (which there are none on this drive) but I'm not sure in which order they should go. I had tried the good drive alone on the bad unit and it came up fine, so it would seem that the cables are in good order. I also tried the 'clicking' drive in the other chassis and got the same failed message. I'm going to try this Ubuntu option and see what happens. I accidentally clicked cancel when it was saving to desktop so now I have to download it again LOL.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

You cannot use a hard drive from a different system...to boot a system...unless the equipment and motherboards are exactly the same (which is highly unlikely).

Such attempts ought to produce STOP errors (I'm thinking 7B) and result in frustration.

That's not the same as attaching the troubled hard drive to a known good working system, as a secondary drive or via USB enclosure.

Louis

#8 sucosam

sucosam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Well, I'm not sure what I had done in the past, but I have hooked the two 'C' drives up in tandem to transfer files etc. At any rate, I have downloaded the Ubuntu ISO and am currently on the faulty computer, but obviously in a Linux environment. I can see my second, or D, partition, but I can't seem to see the C partition. Anyone have any thoughts on if this? I fear that my drive might be toast. I hope not, but it ain't looking so good at this stage.

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:54 AM

What is shown under Places\Computer, when you boot with the Live CD.

This should show you all drives available in the system, including your Windows drive.

See Guide for further information:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

If you cannot 'mount the volume', Louis' suggestion re data recovery software may be the only
option, but a 'clicking' drive probably indicates that it is on its way out.

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

I have a few wd sata drives that have the click. One I was able to get files off of with ubuntu live, the others were so toasty I could not see the drive in any environment. Since the data was deemed unimportant by the client, they went in the pile to be crushed.

The one I recovered files from with ubuntu, would freeze and get grayed out on the ubuntu file viewer screen for minutes at a time.

Occasionally I have recovered files from failing drives (those the bios still sees) by putting the drive in the freezer (double freezer bags) for several hours and working quickly to hook up in a working system as a secondary device. This needs to be done in a low humidity environment otherwise condensation on the platters can precipitate a crash. I have not been successful with either sata drives or those over 400g in the past few years. Once it starts to click, it goes downhill fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users