Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Avira AntiVirus Personal Free Edition

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 terence jackson

terence jackson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Dear reader,

today i tried to install Avira AntiVir personal free edition. During the process of installing this msg was shown.

"""A secure internet connection is required to activate the product (SSL encrypted). This could not be established. Please address the following issues and repeat the product activation.

-Ensure that the internet can be accessed
-Ensure that the system date is correct
-If in use, check your modem connection
-Ensure that the application fact.exe can access the internet and is not blocked by a firewall"""

this was the msg shown. to rectify this i turned off the firewall, but to no avail. I am able to access the internet without any trouble. the modem connection is fine, i checked that using ping on command prompt. the system date and time is accurate too.
i use Google Chrome on Windows Xp SP2. kindly tell me how to rectify this situation.

thanking you.
terence

Edited by garmanma, 06 February 2010 - 11:43 AM.
merged topics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

Is the date and time correct in the lower right-hand corner?
You might need to adjust it in the BIOS
If it continues to lose time you might need to replace the CMOS battery
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:03 AM

Dear garmanma,

i checked and the date and time are correct and it's not losing any time. One more thing: a few months ago i set up a static ip address while forwarding my port for usage of torrents, but later set the tcp/ip properties back to get ip setting automatically rather than me entering the ip, default gateway and the dns servers. I don't know the extent of what i did but i thought you should know.
when i check the ipconfig on command prompt, it still shows the static ip address that i created some time back.
Plz help me..
thanking you.
terence

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

I have never had a problem uninstalling Avira. Are you switching it off prior to uninstalling?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

Dear bluesjunior,

plz note that i am not trying to uninstall it, rather install it. the installation doesn't proceed and gives me that message.

thanks
terence.

#6 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

Did you try the download using a different browser? It downloaded with no problems for me using IE8. Or try a different source to download from?

Supplying the forum with some information about your computer would be helpful. You might also consider updating to Windows XP SP3

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ IE8, Chrome (default), Avira, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

From this thread at Computer Hope.

Message received by Original Poster while trying to install new AV:

A secure internet connection is required to activate the product(SSL Encrypted). This could not be established. Please address the following issues and repeat the product activation.
-Ensure that the internet can be accessed
-Ensure that the system date is correct
-If in use, check your modem connection
-Ensure that the application fact.exe can access the internet and is not blocked by a firewall

And his/her solution in post #5 of that thread:

Yes i did check all the suggestions that program recommended i do. I was able to install the program by unchecking the "subscribe as a user" check box. Of course that does not mean the problem is fixed but at least i was able to install the software and i can now check if the computer has viruses, which i suspect it does.

Original poster doesn't say what AV is being installed, but the message is identical.

Did you have an AV installed before trying to install Avira AntiVir? If so, what was it? How did you uninstall it?

#8 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

Dear FlannelBack,

i think you struck the right chord here, i just read somewhere else that when you uninstall previous AV with just the windows add/remove program option, it often leaves one with a dead internet connection or unable to install another AV.

and yes i have had other free edtion AV's before. also some pirated versions, which i later regretted even downloading. in the end, i always removed them with windows add remove program.

now, knowing all this, can you guide me towards how to solve this problem. i mean, there must be a way to correct yourself when you end up uninstalling an AV in the wrong way. kindly guide me in the right direction.

thanking you,
terence

Edited by terence jackson, 06 February 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#9 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

Dear FlannelBack,

i removed whatever files were remaining from my previous AV installations, Bitdefender and Norton, using their Removal tools. But the problem still persists. I am unable to install AVG or AVIRA.

what must i do next?
thanking you
terence

#10 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

Hi terence

Since there were "some pirated versions", which are commonly accompanied by malware, floating about on the system, you need to be sure there aren't any remains of that software and any malware. And stay away from pirated software! Pirated anyting for that matter. You need to be sure the system is clean. If there is malware on the system, then trying to do anything besides getting rid of the malware is an exercise in futility.

You'll need at the least, these two applications:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware you can get it at Download.com too.
And SUPERAntiSpyware also available at Download.com.

Install and run Malwarebytes, let it update and run a quick scan(the default) in Windows normal mode. If it finds anything and tells you it needs to reboot to finish, let it do so, and then you'll have to start a new thread in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum so you can identify any malware and be rid of it.

Whether Malwarebytes finds anything wrong or not, you should still install and run SUPERAntiSpyware. Let it update and then run a scan. If SUPERAntiSpyware finds anything wrong then again it's off to Am I infected? What do I do?.

If you have to start a thread in the "Am I infected? What do I do?" forum, you'll need to explain what you're trying to do, what you've done and any error messages you've received. You'll need to be concise in your explanation too, but don't post any logs unless asked to do so.

Once you're sure the system is clean and since you've now tried to install AVG, you'll need to download the AVG Removal Tool(Uninstaller). Make sure you download the correct version for your OS(32bit or 64bit). Run it, when it asks to reboot, do so.

I was wrong about the "Topic Starter" in the thread I referred you to in my earlier post. He/she did state they were trying to install Avira Antivir Personal Edition.

So, try download Antivir again from either Avira or Download.com
Then try to install Antivir again. When you see a check box titled "subscribe as a user", make sure it is not checked.

That static IP address you set up may be part of the problem too. If so, hopefully someone more knowlegeable will step in and give a hand.

BTW, from where did you download Antivir and AVG the first time around?

#11 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

Dear FlannelBack,

thanks for the prompt reply. i'll do as you said and see if my pc is infected. i'll report back when that is done.

i downloaded Avira from www.free-av.com, i believe that is it's parent site. when i couldn't install Avira, i downloaded the AVG online installation file from cnet.com, but that installation failed too. i wasn't able to open avg.com, or for that matter any of the security software websites. Avira was the only one that opened. i wasn't even able to open microsoft.com. that kinda gave me the suspicion that my pc might be infected.

anyway, i'll report back to you as soon as possible.
thanking you,
terence

Edited by terence jackson, 07 February 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#12 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

Dear FlannelBack,

sorry for replying so late, i am writing my exams and couldn't find time to reply sooner. i did scan the pc using malwarebyte's antimalware and it showed 6 infected files. i quaranteened them. and now the problem seems to have gone. i am able to open the avg and bitdefender sites again.
thank you so much for your guidance. is there anything more that i must do?

thanking you,
terence.

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:07 AM

Glad you can now get to some of the sites. Did you install SUPERAntiSpyware yet? If not, you should install it and let it update but don't scan yet. Now you need to reboot into "Safe Mode". When you reboot your system, lightly tap on the "F8" key until a Windows XP Advance Options menu appears. At this point you need to use the arrow keys to highlight the "Safe Mode" option and tap "Enter". Now you should be in "Safe Mode" and can scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.

If you've never used "Safe Mode" before, don't be alarmed at the huge size of everything, it's normal. The video drivers aren't loaded in "Safe Mode". Once completed just reboot and you will be back in normal mode.

Do you have an Anti-Virus Application installed yet? I'm guessing from your last post, maybe AVG? If you haven't installed one yet you need to get that done asap.

If it were me, I would probably get an online scan at ESET Online Scanner or TrendMicro's HouseCall. Since you've been visiting "bitdefender", why not get an online scan with BitDefender's Online Scanner?

If you have an AV installed and you decided to get an online scan you should disable your installed AV while you have the online scan performed. When the online scan is finished, re-enable your installed AV.

Might also consider installing SpywareBlaster, update it and then "Enable All Protection". There after, every 10 days or so run it, check for updates and make sure to "Enable All Protection".

Once you have all your security apps in place it is important to keep them updated. Both MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware update several times a day. I don't use AVG so don't know how often it updates, but if AVG is what you're using you need to make sure that it's updates stay current.

What firewall are you using? If XP's, then let me suggest PC Tools Firewall Plus. If you have something else already like Outpost, Online Armor, something along those lines then you're fine. The same holds true for firewall's as does for AV's, only one installed and active.

Hope your exams go well.

Edited by FlannelBack, 11 February 2010 - 03:14 AM.

#14 terence jackson

terence jackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:31 AM

Dear FlannelBack,

i'll get all that done as soon as possible. thank you for your support.

signing off,
terence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users