Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and The Sims 3 - QTCore4.dll file error

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:03 AM

When try to load The Sims 3 it tells me it can't find QTCore4.dll -

#1 - Downloaded file QTCore4.dll
#2 - Now where on earth to I put the file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:52 AM

in C:\Windows\system32 drop it in that folder providing the drive your using is drive C:\
Reboot the machine and you're good to go!
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for that, I did that but I'm getting this message:

MessageDlg.exe - Entry Point Not Found.
The procedure entry point
?lastIndexOf@Qstring@@QBEMABVQLLatin1String@@HW4CaseSensitivity@Qt@@Z. Could not be located in the dynamic link library QTCore4.dll.

I'm at a loss here.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

OK, I do not have the sims 3 as of yet, I'm still messing around with the origional sims.

Any way, I am not sure where you downloaded this dll from and what it was origionaly written for.

But quickly by taking your message and making english of it, it says.

?lastIndexOf@Qstring@@QBEMABVQLLatin1String@@HW4CaseSensitivity@Qt@@Z. Could not be located in the dynamic link library QTCore4.dll.

which means this DLL was not written with your thoughts in mind.

.dll stands for Dynamic Link Library. they are often used in programming languages such as Visual Basic or C# and C++ when a programmer writes a computer program and compiles it as an executable program.

I am not sure if your attempting to use a plug-in or add-on at this point, because usually the Sims installation disk's have all the required DLL's needed to play the game.

Not trying to confuse you here, but perhaps the DLL you have was written for another purpose, as it has many. The line of code may be missing for your application to work correctly with it.

Besides the C:\Windows\System 32 folder, you can also attempt to copy the .dll file into the root directory of the SIMS folder such as shown below.

C:\Program files\Maxis\The Sims 3 just paste a copy of the origional dll into the Sims folder where the game files are installed where the .exe file is located for starting this application, you should see other .dll files there as well as folders, paste it there.
But in most cases if its already in the system 32 folder, the application should find it and use it.

If this fails to fix the error, then the .dll file you have is NOT the correct one needed for your application to run correctly, since you never said what your attempting to do or execute I can't give you a correct answer.
You never mentioned where you got this .dll file from or what you're attempting to use it with.

The QTCore4.dll you're looking for is commenly used in animation developement.

An Executable and a .dll work together using a system file called .sys if one file was not written to understand the other file, or if a line of code is missing that another file is looking for, you get a programming error.

(Edit: fixed a half dozen usual typos...sigh.... :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 February 2010 - 09:46 PM.

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

I must add a warning to you.

Be careful how or where you get your files from, as many can contain a hidden malicious code or make you subscribe to programs that make a claim to find all your missing drivers and files automatically for you. The worst case being the first one I listed.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hi Izzy, I visited thesims3.com it appears the .dll your looking for is on the Sims 3 installation disk.
I am not sure why it did not install or how it was deleted.
If you can re-install the game, this should fix your problem.

good luck!

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

Sounds quite stupid as it is a"New Install" but I might fish on the disk for the file and see if I can get it that way without reinstalling.

Thanks.

Edited by Izzy, 07 February 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

No problem, I don't have the disk to look through, but it might be zipped in a .bin file on the installation disk.
Not to go off subject, But I still use the origional Sims 1.0, I've only updated it to "Livin' Large" But it's still fun to play with and runs fine on Windows 7.
I will skip The Sims 2, But I do plan on getting the sims 3!

Let us know how you make out.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Off Topic: You won't miss a lot from Sims 1 to Sims 3 as Sims 2 and 3 are quite similar just with a few enhanced features and details. Be warned you need a good processor, plenty of Ram and a good graphics card as it doesn't run excellent on my 2.8 Ghz Pentium Dual Core, 4GB Ram and a 512 MBG210 Nvidia Graphics Card. I reckon 8GB Ram and a Quad Core and a 1GB Video would be best.

On Topic: I looked through the disk but no such luck finding anything in there. I did find on TheSims3 website that the problem lies within "Ea Download Manager" and it says to remove the old version and installed the downloaded version, but the problem is I can't find where to download it, it had a link but it takes me to some site and that is it.

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

UPDATE: Have reinstalled the game but still have the same problem. Have emailed EA about it but haven't heard back from them yet.

#11 Tibby381

Tibby381

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

Hi, I have followed this to a a T.
I have done the following.

Uninstalled and deleted all sims 3 content from pc. found the QtCore4.dll file and put it in the windows\systems32
reinstalled sims and sims adventure. But the patch still wont go through... it still says cant find QtCore4.dll. did I something wrong?

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

48 hours has passed and no word from EA - not good at all - they probably don't know either.
I can't figure it out - I'm stumped full stop.

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Finally got back from EA and they say to "manually" uninstall.

You need to follow these instructions if you have windows XP or Vista but for those like myself who have Windows 7 I don't know if the Vista instructions will work or not.

If you're having issues with the game and need to manually uninstall it as a troubleshooting measure, refer to the instructions below.

Backup the save data in Windows XP:

1. Click the Start button and select My Documents.
2. Select the Electronic Arts folder.
3. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Cut.
4. Right-click on your desktop and select Paste.
5. To restore your Sims 3 save games, move this folder back into the Electronic Arts folder after re-installing the game.

Backup the save data in Windows Vista:

1. Click the Start button and select Documents.
2. Select the Electronic Arts folder.
3. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Cut.
4. Right-click on your desktop and select Paste.
5. To restore your Sims 3 save games, move this folder back into the Electronic Arts folder after re-installing the game.

Delete the game files (in the default location):
1. Click the Start button and select My Computer.
2. Select the Local Disk (C:) drive folder.
3. Select the Program Files folder.
4. Select the Electronic Arts folder.
5. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Delete.

Backup the registry:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press R.
2. At the Run command, type in "regedit" (minus the quotes) and select OK.
3. Click on File and then Export...
4. Choose a location and name for the file; this will be your backup registry file.
5. Click Save.

Delete the registry keys:

1. Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
2. Expand the SOFTWARE folder.
3. Expand the Electronic Arts folder.
4. Expand the Sims folder.
5. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Delete.
6. Collapse the Electronic Arts folder.
7. Expand the Sims folder.
8. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Delete.
9. Collapse the Sims folder.
10. Expand the Microsoft folder.
11. Expand the Windows folder.
12. Expand the CurrentVersion folder.
13. Expand the Uninstall folder.
14. Delete the following folder if it appears:
€ {C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}
11. Collapse the Microsoft folder.
12. Expand the Classes folder.
13. Delete the following folders if they appear:
€ .Sims3
€ .Sims3Pack
€ Sims3
€ Sims3Pack

Delete the uninstall files:

1. Click the Start button and select My Computer.
2. Select the Local Disk (C:) drive folder.
3. Select the Program Files folder.
4. Select Tools, then Folder Options, then View, then select "Show hidden files and folders."
5. Select the InstallShield Installation Information folder.
6. Delete the following folder if it appears:
€ {C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}

The Sims 3 should now be completely removed from your system.

Edited by Izzy, 13 February 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Try using Revo Uninstaller. It's easier than having to delete the leftover files manually. I use it all the time. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#15 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

UPDATE: Letting others know that EA's method failed to work for me. I'm still getting the error message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users