Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google website locked out! How?


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rdfarr

rdfarr

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

Quote: "You may be experincing unusual behaviour of your browser for your search engine and e-mail. You may be using un-licenced software which may cause the disturbance. Please install the bug fixer.
hxxp://www.google.com/search-engine-bug-fixer.exe Click here to download".

The above text pops up on a clear browser screen when I try to do a Google search, or go to Google directly. (Notice the misspelled words.) It does this with three different browsers. I've scanned the entire hard drives using Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and online Bit Defender. None of these found a problem. I also tried to do a Restore, but only one restore point showed up and it would not work.
When I first got this message, I clicked on the download link and downloaded a program called "search-engine-bug-fixer.exe". Since the download link was www.google.com/search.engine.bug.fixer.exe, I decided it must be legit and ran the program. I got the message that I had to be logged in as Administrator. I did not try that again. It was about then that I noticed the hinky spelling in the warning message.

Other than not being able to access Google, the computer and browser seems to work normally. I can do any search except using Google.

Help!

(I have not tried to run Combofix yet since there are so many warnings about it's use.)

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 January 2010 - 04:51 PM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 rdfarr

rdfarr
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Disregard. I ran ComboFix and everything is back to normal. I don't know what the problem was.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users