Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bing removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ellen S.

Ellen S.

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

Okay the other day, I upgraded my IE8. Unknowing that I would be installing MSN toolbar and Bing.com. It left my homepage as is. But everytime I open IE, two windows automatically open - 1) my homepage and 2) Bing page.

I did go to my computer and uninstall MSN toolbar and restarted my computer. When I opened up IE, it was still there. So I closed my "Favorites" toolbar, just so I wouldn't have to see it.

On another forum they had suggested going to Tools > Manage add-ons > Search providers & Accelerators and take out all the bing.coms. Which I did. (I just checked and they are still gone).

When I go to my computer and look through the list, there is no bing.com. And the only IE8 is the one that was installed 6/20/09.

I even did a search for a "bing.com" file (hidden folder included).

So, my question is do y'all know how to get rid of Bing.com and the MSN toolbar? Is there something I haven't thought of yet?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed. I'm a Googler and don't like MSN taking control of me and my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hi!

For your homepage problem, have you checked your internet options? Maybe Bing is set as one of the homepages?
My website: http://www.aommaster.com
Posted Image
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,981 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

I don't know what you did...but IE isn't responsible.

Bing is not event the default search option...Windows Live Search is...so if Bing is a search option in your IE 8, you can simply go Tools/Manage Add-ons and remove it or change. Looking at other threads...it appears that Bing is related to IE 6.

MSN is the default home page when IE 8 is installed. Just like any other homepage, it can be changed by simply navigating to the website you want (I use Google), then go Tools/Internet Options...change the selection on the General tab.

For those (like me) who do not want Live anything...removing the Live Search can be a minor nuisance. The trick is add the search engine you want...then you can remove the (former default) Live Search.

Louis

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

According to this, Bing is now the default search engine for IE8.

http://www.fettesps.com/how-to-uninstall-bing/

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,981 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

I just did a clean install of XP thru SP3 less than 6 hours ago and then installed IE 8 as an update. Trust me, Bing was not the default on the IE 8 I obtained via WUS.

I would not put it past Microsoft, just reporting recent events I know something about today. If Bing is listed under Manage Add-Ons as the default, it doesn't parallel my experiences today.

Louis

#6 Ellen S.

Ellen S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

When I go to Manage Add-ons, before I deleted the bing.coms and live.coms, Google was my default search engine. My home page has never changed.

It's when I initially open IE - 2 windows open up simultaneously. One is my homepage (Tupperware) and one is Bing. But if I open a new tap it comes up Google.

I know Bing is not in the original version of IE8. What happended was the other day, I received an update for IE8 called IE8 Optimizer. When I downloaded it I didn't know they were attaching Bing and MSN Toolbar, but nothing happens when you try to uninstall MSN toolbar.

I have a dell and don't have the XP disc to reinstall and wouldn't necessarily know how to save the stuff on my computer before installing. And I don't know how to go thru SP3 to download XP unless its via office.microsoft.com.?
Do you think if I uninstall the IE8 original version and reinstall that Bing would go away?

I tried what Frank suggested by going to my computer > c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts and adding those to addresses.....it didn't work either. When I opened IE back up, the same 2 windows open up.

Edited by Ellen S., 28 January 2010 - 10:55 PM.

#7 Ellen S.

Ellen S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hi!

For your homepage problem, have you checked your internet options? Maybe Bing is set as one of the homepages?

Thank you! I just learned there can be more than one homepage. Thank you aommaster. Evidently it sets itself as a second homepage.

Thank you for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

Ellen S.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:22 AM

I think IE8 Optimizer is an optional update. I'm not interested in it but it explains what happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users