Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power cord won't stay connected to laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pitluvr22

pitluvr22

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

I have an HP Pavillion dv6433d and the power is kind of screwy. In order to have the battery charging, and the light on the plug lit, I have to move my power cord all around and it has to stay in that one spot. It usually takes a little extra push in and down, that seems to do the job, but I'd really like to type with two hands again sometime. I have tried replacing the cord as I thought that was the problem initially, and it wasnt. I am currently overseas so I don't have a computer repair shop around, is there something I can do myself to fix this? Thank you for any help you can provide!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

Broken power socket. Normally this would require some soldering, but looking at the external pics of your lappy, it might be a socket that is jumpered to the motherboard like the DV5000s, so it might be a simple plug swap. Bad news is you still have to take the lappy apart to replace it.

I can't find any parts lists for the specific model you listed.

EDIT: I could be wrong. http://www.impactcomputers.com/da0at8tb8f2.html

Never ran across a daughtercard like that before, but you still don't have to pick up a soldering iron.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 January 2010 - 12:55 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

It does`t sound good I`m sorry to say. Sounds like the power cord respectable on the motherboard has worked itself loose. This is a small item that is soldered on. Some of the connections between it and the mobo have probably become disconnected\broken. It is repairable but a knowledge of the disassembly\reassembly as well as soldering is required. Around a $125.00 parts and labor job in the States.

#4 pitluvr22

pitluvr22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

Broken power socket. Normally this would require some soldering, but looking at the external pics of your lappy, it might be a socket that is jumpered to the motherboard like the DV5000s, so it might be a simple plug swap. Bad news is you still have to take the lappy apart to replace it.

I can't find any parts lists for the specific model you listed.

EDIT: I could be wrong. http://www.impactcomputers.com/da0at8tb8f2.html

Never ran across a daughtercard like that before, but you still don't have to pick up a soldering iron.

Does that mean all i have to do is buy the piece and put it in? is it a simple click into place? I am very computer-stupid, so the more specific the better since I am doing this on my own. Thanks!

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

Good find Dpunisher. Wish they were all like that.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

Does that mean all i have to do is buy the piece and put it in? is it a simple click into place? I am very computer-stupid, so the more specific the better since I am doing this on my own. Thanks!

Well, you still have to disassemble the case to get to that part to replace it. SOP, remove keyboard trim, remove keyboard, screws under keyboard for case and lid/display, remove screws on rear of case to lid/display hinge, unplug LCD,antennae, LCD power connectors, remove lid, remove CD crive, hard drive, memory. wireless module, touchpad connector, case screws, seperate case and swap what you need to. That part I linked to should either plug directly into the motherboard, or a jumper ribbon.

It is a happy evening project for a beginner.

Edited by dpunisher, 21 January 2010 - 07:57 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 pitluvr22

pitluvr22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:09 PM

so i bought that part off the website you linked into the response. i took apart my computer and replaced that piece completely. unfortunately it didnt work. same issue is still happening. any other suggestions???

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

That pretty much leaves the PS.

#9 pitluvr22

pitluvr22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

as in the cord?? or internal ps? cause i am using the laptop right now...just holding the cord in the right "spot"

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

Probably the end of the cord that plugs into the lap top. That is the next thing in line. If not that then IMO, it is a motherboard problem, which we will keep our fingers crossed it is`t.

#11 pitluvr22

pitluvr22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for all of your help with this. I was finally able to get a new power cord and everything is back to working as normal. It ended up being the head piece of the last cord that came loose...at one point it actually disconnected from the cord and stayed in the computer :thumbsup:

I have one other question now, I had been, and still am. getting the message that the battery is "plugged in, not charging". Do you know why this is? I only have 27% left of the battery and if it doesn't charge then I will be relagated to only operating the laptop when there is a plug available. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users