Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Aspire One - Can not Boot

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

I may be able to work from here, I believe it will give the same results ?

Posted Image

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#62 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

I have been wondering about the FAT situation and know that the bootable OS has to be saved in FAT, therefore your saying that It is safe to partition a drive that is an NTFS system and have both these systems on the same drive, correct ?

Yes, you can have multiple partitions with different file systems on the same drive. Most operating systems run on NTFS, while some other things (system files, boot sectors, etc.) use FAT, FAT16, FAT32, etc.....normally when you make some sort of recovery partition, you format it in FAT32. :huh:

Sorry for the lack of options inside XP's Disk Management (in Windows 7, "Shrink partition" is inside the right-click menu list). :huh: Use this program instead. It is much easier. :thumbup2:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#63 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

OK, . . this will take a little time today, . . but I may have more than one choice,

I could use the Slave as is, since at this time the only thing on it is W-7, it would need to be Marked Active.

Thanks for the partition Master D/l, I've been there before, but it is good to be reminded as

when these techniques are new, you know so little about them, and there seem to be many choices before you, that you leave behind what can work for what might work, . .

If I do not use this, this time, I will definitely benefit from it in the very near future.

So, shall we try to Mark it Active ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#64 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

OK, . . this will take a little time today, . . but I may have more than one choice,

I could use the Slave as is, since at this time the only thing on it is W-7, it would need to be Marked Active.

Have you shrunk the partition that is on it, and made a new one? You can't just copy the files from the recovery disk to the same partition as the Windows 7, mark it as active, and expect it to work. The recovery files will have to be on a separate partition.

When you ask for clarification or explain something, you must be very specific. It's hard to read between the lines.

Do what I said before: size down that partition, create a new one in the empty space, copy the recovery disc files to the new partition, mark it as active, and try to boot off it. :huh:

#65 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Wait a minute, I think we are talking about two different disk, . .

The W-7 is the only thing on the disc, I was going to re-install the OS,

Are you saying, to use the recovery disc, . . if you are that is an option that I did not consider, . .

However if I do, and there are two partitions on the disc, one with the OS-W-7 and the other with the recovery disc, then the ACER is going to select the partition with the recovery disc on it, or will I have to set up that particular partition to boot from ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#66 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, I think we are talking about two different things....

I was saying to use the slave drive (with whatever is on it), shrink the partition, create a new partition in the empty space, copy the recovery files to it, mark it as active, install in in your external case, and try to boot the netbook off it (through the USB port). If it works correctly (hardly ever happens the first time), you should be able to restore with the Acer recovery tools as if you were booted off the recovery DVD itself.

What are you talking about? Are you wanting to put the slave drive inside the netbook to replace the non-booting drive? I'm sorry for the confusion, but we seem to have a hard time communicating. :huh:

This thread has gone on for so long, can you please restate your problem? Your netbook cannot boot, you have no optical drive, and you want to restore to factory settings, right?

#67 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

In Review

1. Our problem was that we could not get the ACER-One to Boot off of the Flash Drive because the Flash Drive was not able to be Marked Active.

"You cannot use Diskpart to create a partition on removable media. Windows supports at most one MBR partition on removable media. If the media is manufactured with an MBR, that MBR cannot be altered, but the MBR is followed even if multiple partitions or logical drives are configured. If the media is manufactured without an MBR, the media is treated as a "superfloppy" and no partition structure is written to the media."

The above is from Here

Wether or not their may be other ways to, Mark Active, removable media, I don't know, . .

However, . .
2. We have decided to use the Slave Drive E: after configuring it to conform to the applicable use of either Re installing W-7 or Recovering the system that remains on the ACER.

3. I am attempting to Mark Active the OS W-7 that is on the Slave E:, so that it can be placed into the External Enclosure for a Reinstall, . . .

4. If I or We decide that a recovery of the remaining OS on the ACER will be attempted than the Slave E: HHD will need to be partitioned, so that it, (the recovery), instead of the OS reinstall will be used to
boot the ACER from.

5. You are using the words, "shrink the partition", are you defining an un-partitioned drive is in itself a single partion ?

6. If it is defined as a partition, than it can be, "Marked Active", if it can be, "Marked Active", than the data that is presently on the Slave E:, which is the W-7 OS, should be suitable for use to re-install the ACER OS.

Now having said that are we going to try to, "shrink", i.e., "re-size", the Slave E:, because we want to attempt a recovery, therefore there will be two partitions one bootable feature on each, (the OS and the Recovery), or our we going to simply re-install the OS from the present W-7 for ACER that is on the Slave E:?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#68 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. :huh:

1. Correct.

2. Okay, I'm still with you.

3. Ummm...

4. Okay, here's where it starts to get fuzzy. My original intent was for the W-7 OS partition to be sized down, and a new partition made for the recovery files (to recover the W-7 on the netbook). You cannot reinstall an operating system using an already installed operating system (I assume that's what you meant). It is simply not possible.

5. If there is anything on a hard drive besides unallocated space, then there is a partition on it. Even if there is only one, it is still a partition. Shrinking it simply makes that partition smaller, thus allowing you to create another partition for other uses.

6. It probably is already marked as active....otherwise the Windows 7 that is on it would not be able to boot. No, the data that is presently on the slave drive will not be suitable for reinstallation of the Acer OS (see #4 above).

Like I said before, we just want to make another partition on that slave drive to put the recovery files on it. This would (theoretically) enable you to recover the netbook's OS or restore to factory settings (the original purpose of the recovery DVD's sent by Acer).

If you want to just do a clean install of Windows 7 back on the netbook (different from a factory restore) and you have a Windows 7 installation DVD (a hard drive with W-7 installed on it does not count), then the process would be very simple. I can confirm that you can simply copy the files from a W-7 install DVD to a partition on either a flash drive or hard drive, and successfully install Windows 7 (I've done it many times). I cannot guarantee, however, that you will be able to copy the files from the recovery disk sent from Acer to a drive, then boot off it (never done it, so I don't know if it's possible).

Since you have spoken of a reinstall (although with the wrong method in mind), do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD? If so, you can use that to reinstall the OS on the netbook (instead of hoping that the recovery disk files would be bootable once copied to the hard drive). It is very simple to reinstall Windows 7 on any computer (netbook or not) if you have the install DVD. Do you have the Windows 7 install DVD? (not an Acer recovery disk)

#69 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Yes I have both the the Recovery Disc's,(2) and the System Disc (1), as far as I know these are CD's, I think, . . possibly they are DVD's, will it make a difference ? They are sent to me by ACER for this purpose.

I thought I tried the OS on the Flash Drive, ??

Well, . . I'll load the 1st Recovery on it then plug it into the ACER, if that does not work and you have confirmed that this should boot, from USB, if it does'nt then I'm afraid that it may be another problem, possibly a failed hard drive.

Edited by Jove, 31 January 2010 - 09:48 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#70 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

I just checked the Flash Drive, . OS W-7 is on it, that did nothing the last time I plugged it in and attempted a boot, I'm going to try it again, . .
there are three different USB ports on the Netbook ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#71 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Boot From;
USB HDD Correct ?

There is an USB FDD

Edited by Jove, 31 January 2010 - 09:52 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#72 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Do you have an understanding of this ?

It is FROM

Create a Recovery USB device

You will need a second computer with an ODD to complete this procedure.

1) Insert the Recovery CD into the optical drive. Plug in a USB/flash drive with a minimum capacity of 1 GB.

2) Enter the BIOS setup and set the first boot device to the ODD. Save the changes and exit.

3) Allow your computer to boot up.

4) From the list of options, select "install2usb".

5) You will see a list of available disks, select the USB drive you plugged in.

6) Click the next button to complete the procedure.

7) Remove the USB ODD and USB/flash drive. You now have the Recovery system stored in your USB/flash drive, for future use if necessary.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#73 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

Yes I have both the the Recovery Disc's,(2) and the System Disc (1), as far as I know these are CD's, I think, . . possibly they are DVD's, will it make a difference ? They are sent to me by ACER for this purpose.

I thought I tried the OS on the Flash Drive, ??

Well, . . I'll load the 1st Recovery on it then plug it into the ACER, if that does not work and you have confirmed that this should boot, from USB, if it does'nt then I'm afraid that it may be another problem, possibly a failed hard drive.

A CD does not have enough space for operating system installation files or recovery tools. They are most likely DVD's. But that is irrelevant.

I don't remember what all was tried.

Like I said, I make no guarantee that the recovery files copied to a hard drive will be bootable. I have never tried this. I do know that you can do this with the W-7 installation files (from a regular install DVD).

I just checked the Flash Drive, . OS W-7 is on it, that did nothing the last time I plugged it in and attempted a boot, I'm going to try it again, . .
there are three different USB ports on the Netbook ?

Are you saying that the installation files are on the flash drive? If I recall correctly, you could not mark the flash drive's partition as active. If it is not active, then it is impossible to boot from it. That is why we were going to use a modified external hard drive (because it can be marked as active).

Which USB port you use is irrelevant.

Boot From;
USB HDD Correct ?

There is an USB FDD

It depends on what you are using. If you are using the hard drive, then choose USB HDD (hard disk drive). If you are using the flash drive, choose USB FDD (flash disk drive).

In answer to your last post, no, I do not have knowledge of this. It seems possible. If the Acer recovery tools are made to do this (boot off the disk, then create a recovery flash drive), then I suppose you can do it. I have never tried it (don't have an Acer or Acer disks). You can try to do it using your other computer (the one that has an optical drive). This method seems more promising than my Jerry-rigged version we were shooting for. Try it and see what happens. :huh:

#74 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

OK, We are pretty close to being on the same page now, . .

Although I mistakenly wanted to boot from USB, ( sorry ), I really never saw or heard of a FDD in a boot order before.

Right DVD, Me didn't think !

And yes the OS is both on the FDD and The HDD(Slave E:,

OK I'm going to give the later a try !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#75 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

And getting closer by the minute. :huh:

It is possible to boot from a USB flash drive, but only under special conditions. If it is a Lexar, you can "flip the bit" to fool the OS into thinking that it is a regular hard disk drive. I do not know of other brands that can do this. I also know that Microsoft has a tool you can run that works like this: you point the program to your downloaded Windows 7 ISO file, select your flash drive, and BAM! you have a bootable flash drive. But, I have not had success with this program. :huh: Windows Disk Management does not typically allow you to mark a flash drive as active, thus making our job a little harder.

So you're going to try the hard drive? If you are talking about installation files, please don't just say "OS".

"OS" implies operating system. "OS setup" would be a more accurate term to use, as there is not technically an operating system on an install disk. Only an operating system setup.

Let me know if the OS setup partition on the slave HDD works. :thumbup2:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 31 January 2010 - 11:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users