Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal System Error 0x00000402

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

ok, so luckily my computer is on right now. I just got the fatal system error mentioned above, all it said was that message and the system is shutting down on a BSoD.

anything I should be made aware of so that I don't massacre my comp?
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Read the topic...download the debugging tool...post any dump logs here.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

it didn't create a dump file, I already tried.
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,050 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Make sure, your settings are correct...

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Start>Control Panel in Vista).
2. Double-click System.
3. Click (Advanced system settings link in Vista, then --->)the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Make sure, there is a checkmark in Write an event to the system log.
5. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:36 AM

(Start>Control Panel in Vista)

You have the wrong forums, this is the XP forums... and my settings are right, ive debugged BSoD's before

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,050 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

My speech is general, so it has XP and Vista option, so I don't have to change it every time, I post regarding different Windows versions :thumbsup:
Did the error happen just once?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:55 AM

yeah, it happened when I started my computer up.

I got home, my dad had the comp off (which is abnormal) I turned it on, the monitor didnt do anything til I noticed my dad turned off the monitor too, so I turned that back on, it loaded windows, flashed a cyan-like color and then hit the BSoD

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,050 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:59 AM

Well, errors happen. If it happened just once, I'd simply let it go. No reason to have a headache over one BSOD.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:03 AM

normally I wouldnt get a headache over it, but I have never had a BSoD that isn't a driver stop and doesnt show the infamous "If this is the first time you have seen this error, please restart your computer"

just a FATAL SYSTEM ERROR. SYSTEM WILL NOW SHUT DOWN.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

Can you boot into safe mode or safe mode with command prompt? If you can you may be able to set-up Dr.Watson to set up a crash Dump according to this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,050 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

normally I wouldnt get a headache over it

For some reason, it even didn't create any dump file, so there is really not much you can do at this moment, unless it happens again and gives you some info.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,968 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

Check for malware on the system?

From www.aumha.org:

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users