Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pev.exe virus? slow computer,cant find/kill it

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerrysyron

jerrysyron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

I have a Toshiba Laptop, windows 7 OS. During the past 2 days my computer suddenly got incredibly slow, can barely open folders without them freezing.
When i open task manager on the whole it says its barely using memory, and cpu stays under 25%, except for the occasional spike. Iv gone through the prgrams running and dont see anything suspicous.

I ran malwarebytes and kaspersky scans, with nothing.(by the way i have kaspersky as my virus protection.) Then i ran rkill, and it stops the virus. Temporarily. After a restart things get slow, then slower, then back to where i started. Same with combofix, my computer was great and then it slowed and slowed untill it was a slug.
Now, the first time i ran rkill a window popped up saying Pev.exe has stopped working. When i ran rkill later i didn't get that message, i haven't seen it since.
And a really odd thing happens, when the computers really slow, and i open a folder there a application call " pev ". After rkill does its thing its gone. i have seen it in 2 folders so far, but when i go back its gone. Also, the date there created is minutes before i open the folder.
request the combofix log and ill post it.
Any ideas would be much appreciated, i have never seen anything like this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phelom

Phelom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

pev.exe
rkill.reg
ncmd.cfxxe

These three files are temporary files that are created every time you run rkill.exe. They only last as long as the program runs and are used to search and kill malware processes. This is the reason they are created for only a few minutes and then disappear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users