Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some keys from my keyboard not working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 SecurityAlert

SecurityAlert

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hello everyone,

Ever since a few hours ago, I have not been able to type in a few keys on my keyboard, & it's driving me crazy..

These keys consist of n, b, left arrow key, down arrow key, right arrow key, the key beside the period (which lets me type question marks, etc)

(I literally had to copy+paste these letters into my message, which was extremely irritating)

------------------

This all started happening after I had downloaded a patch update to a game. now, this didn't happen immediately, after a while my keys just stopped working for what appears to be no reason.

I'm running Windows XP SP 3 with a "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft natural PS/2 keyboard"

Could this problem have occurred because of some sort of infection or do I have to buy a new keyboard

- I have tried system restore already and there don't appear to be any drivers available for this.

Edit: Also, When I try to press these keys there is no error message at all and in control panel it says my keyboard is not working.

Edited by SecurityAlert, 06 January 2010 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

I have tried system restore already and there don't appear to be any drivers available for this.

Drivers for the keyboard?

Generic keyboards like the one you have are just plug and play and don't really need drivers.

And I don't really see how a game patch could affect certain keys on the keyboard??

I suggest you check the keyboard with another PC and if it fails to work, get a new one.

(I literally had to copy+paste these letters into my message, which was extremely irritating)

Well, you can use the on-screen keyboard instead.

Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > On-Screen Keyboard

Edited by ReviverSoft, 06 January 2010 - 06:57 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

probly needing a new keyboard. but test it first with a working keyboard from a buddy's computer. if all the keys work, its time for shopping. make sure also that you don't have some weird function key enabled on your keyboard. Mine has a function key that changes the values of all keys with a secondary character printed on them, mostly my f -keys. If its just a plain jane keyboard tho, its probably time for a replacement.

#4 thingkinfast

thingkinfast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

hay, i had this EXACT same problem. Same keys even. The fix is very easy. Just hold down the left shift key for 5 seconds. Then, its fixed.

#5 mcsean2163

mcsean2163

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

I have exactly the same problem,  shift did not work.

Any ideas

#6 put

put

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:45 AM

i also have the same problem..

infact same keys     n , b , spacebar , left arrow key , right arrow , down arrow 

please help.....

#7 put

put

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

i also have problem with the same keys

some times these keys work but sometimes not work at all..

and

shift did not work...........

please suggest something else......... 

#8 Binyamen

Binyamen

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

I tried removing the keys, smashing the keyboard and pushing the buttons REALLY hard.......eventually it worked xD

same buttons, b,n, left and right arrow keys,etc

I unplugged my keyboard for just a few seconds and now the problem rose again 0.o

(smashing did not work this time)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'd try a different keyboard.

Louis

Closing topic to prevent further run-ons.  If anyone has a problem with any external component...the proper procedure is to start your own topic, rather than post onto a topic initiated by someone else.  This would give you the best chance of having your siuation properly focused on by the membership.

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2013 - 04:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users