Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop Hard Drive Has Failed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 equinecpa

equinecpa

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

I returned from holiday on Sunday and started up my Gateway 350 laptop (hitachi travelstar hd)-it booted up then locked up then said "error reading drive press ctl alt del to restart". I did that several times and it kept coming back with the message. I jumped onto this board and this is what I've done so far:

Downloaded the manufacturer disk diagnostic - it reported a drive failure. Wonderful

I then downloaded HDD regenerator hoping to recover enough bad sectors to make it readable. It ran all night and recoverd about 2500 bad sectors, but when I boot up the computer I still get the same error message.

I got out my windowsxp disk and ran the recovery console. I did chkdsk - at about 25% it said unrecoverable errors. I then ran chkdsk /r and got the same message.

I decided to see what the manufacturer disk diagnostic would do after all of this, and ran it again. This time a quick scan came back all right, but the advanced scan reported back with unrecoverable errors.

I'm aware that the more I play with the hard drive the less chance I have to get the data off of it. It seems I have made some progress since the original running of the disk diagnostic yielded errors on the quick scan, and now only the advanced scan yields those errors.

I don't have a 2.5" usb enclosure ( I just ordered one for future situations like this).

What is the best way to recover a couple of files from hard drive? I only need the ones I worked on this last week. Unfortunately time is of the essence as they are work files, and I'll need to recreate them from older versions if I have to wait to long to fix this (if I can even recover them). Do any of the file recovery software apps work fairly reliably? I am not worried about the hard drive - I'll replace it but for now am concerned with carrying on my work. Should I rerun the HDD regenerator?

I'm also wondering how to get windows on the new Hard drive - the laptop came with windows preloaded on it. It has windows XP home (with authentication sticker on it). I have a windows XP PRO disk handy but no a Home disk. This won't work will it? So do I need to get that from the manufacturer? Good grief...all of this might add up to a new computer..

Thanks for any tips you can give me!

Carolyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

What is the best way to recover a couple of files from hard drive?

The best way is to wait for the enclosure
If you are near a Best Buy or Fry's you can get this on the cheap, if you have access to a desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-245-_-Product

I have a windows XP PRO disk handy but no a Home disk. This won't work will it?

No, they have to be exact

Many laptop makers will give you the disks for a nominal fee, some free
I'm not sure on Gateway's policy
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

I found an enclosure at radioshack...I have plugged it in. The computer detects it but can't read it. It shows up in my computer but when I click on it, I get "invalid parameter"

I ran recuva...and it came up with a list of files but unfortunately I realized recuva is used to recover deleted files....can anyone recommend a software that might help me now? I looked at the sticky http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html but don't see anything quite appropriate there -I'm quite happy to pay for something that works...

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Just for future reference (Not trying to be a jerk, seriously):

Once you have a bad hard drive, don't screw around with running multiple diagnostics to see what the problem is. It rarely, if ever, turns out to be a simple fix. Running HD Regenerator on a bad HD, with data you need to recover, is pointless and possibly destructive. Running the manufacturer's diagnostic programs on a bad HD, with data you need to recover, is pointless and possibly destructive. Get your data off it first, if you can, then play with it. You really haven't fixed any errors. The fact that "errors" aren't showing up, doesn't mean thay have been fixed.

Wait on an enclosure, then run recovery on it. I think "Recuva" is free. Easeus will set you back ~$75. Sometimes you luck out. I pulled 2 years worth of baby pics from a hard drive a couple months ago and the mom cried she was so relieved. I taught her how to backup data after that.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

Thanks - I have the enclosure in hand and did get Recuva to find the files (for those going through this same grief -file recovery is under the options tab). I have the couple I want restored to my desktop. Big sigh of relief.

So am I correct that I should replace the hard drive with a new one? I don't have recovery disks for the o/s -will one of the disk cloning softwares possibly work on the crashed hard drive or do I have to order recovery disks to get the new hard drive operating? I have found a site where I can order gateway recovery disks for about $30.00, and have found an 80gb compatible hard drive for $40.00 -so I think for about $70.00 I can have this laptop up and going.

Edited by equinecpa, 05 January 2010 - 09:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users