Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Installation Issue: CD/DVD Drive Device Missing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alamaxia

Alamaxia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hey all, I briefly searched the boards before creating this post, but was unable to find a solution to my problems.

I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my new SATA hard drive, but when I get into the Windows 7 installer, it gives me the error "A required CD/DVD drive device diver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, DC, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

This seems to be a rather common issue across the internet, but I have tried several possible solutions, but to no avail.

Here is my computer setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI
Processor: AMD Athalon 3500+
Hard drives: (2x) PATA drives (1x) SATA drive
Optical Drive: Lite-On SHW-160H6S DVD dual layer drive

Currently, I have Windows XP installed on one of the PATA drives, and am trying to get Windows 7 on the SATA drive (ideally I want to be able to have dual operating systems).

Any ideas on how I can go about solving this issue?

Thank you,

Alamaxia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram53

Ram53

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

Set up and format your sata in XP, just install it and reboot, once in XP you can install sata drivers.

#3 Alamaxia

Alamaxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

I did format the SATA in XP. I boot to the Windows 7 disc and I get that error after hitting "install windows 7". Don't even get to the point where i can choose a drive.

#4 Ram53

Ram53

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

If you want a dual boot. Start up XP, wait for your desktop to come up, then insert the Win7 cd an let it run from there.

#5 Bolsterplate

Bolsterplate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

I had the same problem when installing Windows 7 RC. It tuned out that the ISO I downloaded from Technet was corrupt. If you are installing from a downloaded ISO, you may want to try downloading it again.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

Your gigabyte Motherboard is a few years old and is using the Nvidia nForce4 chipset. The last update to the nForce4 chipset is July 2, 2007. The last available driver is here. This driver that I am pointing you to is the Vista 32Bit drivers. They may or may not work for you on this machine but that is probably what you are running into is an unsopported device with Windows 7.

It may be possible to install from scratch ( i.e. Fresh install with no os on the machine ) and use the Nvidia drivers to get the SATA controller running but that will require opening the Nvidia drivers with Winrar or Winzip and using them during install.

It is also possible that your DVD drive is having troubles reading your DVD disk that you are using to install Windows 7. Sometimes this can be taken care of with a can of air and a good cleaning internally on the DVD drive.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#7 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hey all, I briefly searched the boards before creating this post, but was unable to find a solution to my problems.

I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my new SATA hard drive, but when I get into the Windows 7 installer, it gives me the error "A required CD/DVD drive device diver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, DC, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

This seems to be a rather common issue across the internet, but I have tried several possible solutions, but to no avail.

Here is my computer setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI
Processor: AMD Athalon 3500+
Hard drives: (2x) PATA drives (1x) SATA drive
Optical Drive: Lite-On SHW-160H6S DVD dual layer drive

Currently, I have Windows XP installed on one of the PATA drives, and am trying to get Windows 7 on the SATA drive (ideally I want to be able to have dual operating systems).

Any ideas on how I can go about solving this issue?

Thank you,

Alamaxia

you need to go to the gigabyte website and download the latest BIOS to update your board for SATA support.

longtooth

#8 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

Are you Upgrading? i'm guessing you are! you need to delete your upper and lower filters, or install from fresh. some CD burning software install and change values in the registry in order to make their software function. try downloading GEARsoft from GEARsoft.com, this can sole most cd/DVD issues. IS your CD/DVD working with your PATA drive? If not your drive is faulty.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

longtooth

#9 Alamaxia

Alamaxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:22 AM

Problem Solved: I reburned the .iso at a slower speed and it worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for the help!

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, that can sometimes be the issue. Enjoy Windows 7! :huh:

P.S. Don't forget to make a backup as soon as you get it installed (do it periodically, too), and also remember to update your drivers (go to manufacturer's website, because your Device Manager will lie to you). :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 10 January 2010 - 11:11 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users