Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System-start driver(s) failing to load

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rleem

rleem

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

Hello and Happy New Year!

I'm having a wee bit of trouble with my Windows XP system and I'm hoping this particular problem will be an easy one to solve. (My unit: Dell XPS 600)

Beginning in early November my computer began crashing. When checking my 'Event Log' there is an ERROR log around this time (or leading up to each crash) that reads:

Source: Service Control Manager
Category: None
Even ID: 7026
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Lbd
nvraid

To make a long story sort of short, for the last two weeks I've been trying to research and troubleshoot the BSOD problems, which first lead me to a possible driver failure associated with my printer after sending the error report to Microsoft. I updated this and included many other "optional" updates to hardware and software. Soon after, I received new BSOD error messages, which led me to discover RAM failure using Microsoft Memory Diagnostics. I'm not certain that this problem was always the problem or was a result of the hardware/software driver failure the first BSOD screens pointed me to. I have since replaced both modules (going from 2 - 512modules to an upgrade of 2G). Now I currently do NOT have any BSOD problems (this is only day two) BUT now that I'm paying closer attention to the Event Log (because I'm not certain this fixed my bigger problem), I have noticed that the original ERROR is still occurring with each boot up.

I'm concerned that soon there will be another domino effect causing other things to fail, including my new memory modules, if I can't get this error fixed.
I followed the link to microsoft help & support center through the Event Log, here are the results:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7026
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED
Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action
Do all of the following:
Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED
Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action
Do all of the following:
Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

I need help figuring out how to take these actions --finding these particular drivers in the first place, configuring them and then making sure they are updated. Sorry if it seems this should be basic knowledge I should have already, but this is the first problem of this nature I've encountered. Any help and guidance is much appreciated!

best,
-r

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

Lbd.sys is a Lavasoft Ad-Aware driver, while nvraid.sys is an nvidia raid driver.

FWIW: If you adjust your viewing options, you can see the full file name, rather than just the first portion of it...as is reflected on your original post. Doing so makes it a lot easier to figure out what file is being referenced, since various types of files may possibly have the same initial portion of a given filename.

http://www.fileinfo.com/help/windows-show-extensions.html

The error message either relates to installed drivers which need to be replaced...or they relate to items which have been removed from yur system but which have startup pointers.

If Ad-Aware is currently installed...I suggest that you uninstall it...then reinstall it with a more current version from the Lavasoft website.

If Ad-Aware is not currently installed...download/install AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx. Take a look at the Logon tab only.

If you see anything on the list that relates to Ad-Aware or Lavasoft...disable it by removing the check mark.

The nvraid.sys driver...are you running a RAID configuration?

FWIW: I have an nVidia chipset on this system, but I don't have a nvraid.sys file installed and I don't use the RAID capability of the motherboard.

So I would check the BIOS to see how yours is set up.

Louis

Edited to remove unintended comment.

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2009 - 02:22 PM.

#3 rleem

rleem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Dear Louis,

Thank you for helping me out with this! All very useful links and tools that I am filing away for future reference...

I had uninstalled Ad-Aware weeks before so:

First, I downloaded Autoruns for Windows and did not detect any Ad-Aware/Lavasoft in the Logon Tab. However, when scrolling down the Drivers Tab, I DID find the "lbd.sys" driver for "Ad-Aware mini filter driver". I unchecked the box.
Also, in the Scheduled Tasks Tab there was an Ad-Aware weekly update task. Also unchecked that.

I know you said only look at the Logon Tab, but I could find nothing relating there. Are these other actions I took ok?

As for the nvraid, you were about to suggest something but the post appears to have been cut off: "In any case, I suggest removing the current nVidia chipset drivers...using Device Manager. Then replace the chipset drivers with"

Please reply with the rest of your advice :-)

Until then, I will be looking into the BIOS to determine the RAID configuration if there is one.

Thanks!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Sorry :flowers:...just the disjointed state of mind that is customary for me :thumbsup: . That line was supposed to be deleted by me, once I realized that the nvraid.sys driver isn't on my system.

You did very well, using Autoruns pretty much as it should be used by careful, experienced users :trumpet:.

Louis

#5 rleem

rleem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

Howdy,

Ok, no worries :thumbsup:

for the RAID: in checking BIOS, it appears "RAID On" is NOT activated.

Drive 0 - SATA-0 set to ON (not configured to RAID)

I did locate the "nvraid" driver in the Drivers Tab using Autoruns but haven't touched it yet.

Is it logical to conclude that I could uncheck this driver to clear up this error without it effecting anything...useful?

btw: One Success on my last start up. "lbd" error problem eradicated. Thanks!

-R

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

I would disable it, if you don't employ a RAID...it has no purpose.

Louis

#7 rleem

rleem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Successfully disabled. No more error reports. Sweet.

thanks and more thanks!

Happy 2010 ~

-r

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

:thumbsup: , glad you were able to solve it...happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users