Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i downloaded a .avi movie with a torrent but it wont play

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 memorex2930

memorex2930

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:33 PM

well i downloaded a tv show ( season 1 ) using bit-torrent but i cant play it. the files are .avi but when i play it using windows media player it says "This file is already in use. Close other programs that may be using the file, or stop playing the file, and try again later." and when i try it in the DivX player i get a message saying "Failed to open file. Please check that it is a valid AVI or MPEG-4 file. Can anyone tell me y its not working and how to fix the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 memorex2930

memorex2930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:40 PM

oh and i also get this message when i open it in Windows Media Player "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play."

#3 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

Chances are the file you downloaded is messed up. If you get error saying that it is unable to be played then you aren't going to be able to play it. Put two and two together and actually think on your own. If it says it is corrupt then it is freaking corrupt understand.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:50 PM

Chances are the file you downloaded is messed up.  If you get error saying that it is unable to be played then you aren't going to be able to play it.  Put two and two together and actually think on your own.  If it says it is corrupt then it is freaking corrupt understand.

This sort of reply is highly uncalled for. It is of no use what so ever. And will not be tolerated.

We here @ Bleeping Computer are here to help. This site is geared towards newbies. And this was in fact a newbie question.
In the future, please refrain from posting, unless you have something constructive to add to the topic.

Please accept my apologies memorex2930.

Scarlett - Forum Moderator

Edited by Scarlett, 28 August 2005 - 12:13 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:52 PM

In the P2Ps that I've used, if the P2P still registers the file as being a download or possibly if it registers it as having been downloaded, windows may think it is being used by the P2P and not play it.

EDIT: I have never used the Bit Torrent type P2Ps, and what I said only applies to the first error in your first post. I must have blanked out the rest :thumbsup:

Edited by Lanscader, 27 August 2005 - 11:55 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

Posted Image

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,776 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:37 AM

Hello memorex2930 and welcome to BC.

Please disregard coolchris706's comments. That has nothing to do with the spirit of friendly assistance and cooperation we try to foster here at Bleeping Computer.

In situations like yours I use a handy little program called the GSpot codec information appliance. All you do is navigate to the problem file and this program will tell you if you have the proper codecs or if there is a problem with the file. If you don't have the proper codecs it tells you what you need to get and a simple Google search will find them for you.

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

#7 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:54 AM

if it is saying the file is in use, it might be that you are still seeding the file you downloaded. This shouldnt stop you playing the .avi. best thing to do is use gspot as the last post says. hope you get it working and enjoy your show

#8 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:27 PM

My apologies for my actions the other day. Will not happen again.

#9 geoprof_1960

geoprof_1960

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:51 AM

I am having the same problem. I have downloaded numerous AVI files using BT, from several different sources, and not once have I been able to get one to play! I have downloaded the DIVX player to use in place of Windows Media Player, and it won't open any of them either. I've gotten all the codecs, I believe, but absolutely nothing seems to work. When I use Gspot, it simply says "non-AVI file". Can anybody help me out here? I know I am a newbie at this, but it doesn't seem like it should be this difficult and frustrating. I can't believe that *every* file I get is corrupted. When using WMP, I continue to get the same message that Memorex is getting. HELP!!

#10 geoprof_1960

geoprof_1960

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:34 AM

Okay, some additional info that *might* be pertinent here...when using the latest Opera version (which is supposed to help in managing bittorrent downloads), on the downloaded files tab, I watch as the files get downloaded (takes a while), and in checking the folder where the downloads are going, it seems like the files are getting to where they are supposed to be. (They take up a lot of space, too...typically 650 MB/file.) However, after the downloads seem to show up, the download ("transfers") screen in Opera suddenly drops back down to 0% downloaded, and stays there. (Even though, in the case of the actual files, there are clearly a bunch of files sitting in the target folder...this is true even if I leave the computer sitting for a while; in a couple of cases, overnight, just in case things were going really slow.)

Any ideas??

Thanks!

#11 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hello,

You may just simply have some codecs "stepping on eachother's toes" so to speak. If you have downloaded a large codec pack such as K-Lite Codec Pack, this is frequently a problem. Those codec packs are really meant to be minimalistically installed, and added to when needed.

I recommend the following media software, which will allow you to play most all of the file types that are floating around, all in one player, instead of several:

1. Media Player Classic -

2. QuickTime Alternative -

3. Real Alternative -

4. AC3 Filter -

This combination of apps. play your music files, video files, and if you please, it will auto play CD's and DVD's.

It also gives you quick options to switch the renderer for the current file type being played. It's open source, and updated often.

Also, QiuckTime and Real Alternatives will prompt you to install Media Player Classic, make sure to untick the option to do so in each of the installs.

I don't recommend installing VLC player and Media Player Classic, to many conflicts, if a certain filetype gives you trouble, look at the file extension, and search for it......it's out there and you don't need to install a big codec pack to enjoy your media entertainment.

If you do have a Codec pack, I recommend uninstalling it, along with QuickTime and RealPlayer, restarting your PC, and installing the programs I listed above.
NOTE: Always remember to do a system restore point before undertaking tasks such as this.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#12 bitsucksthebigone

bitsucksthebigone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

I'm going to help you all out really easy and simple

Bit Torrent sucks! Hence the screen name

Thee is nothing you can do you have all downloaded corrupt and thus completely useless videos probably placed there from the studio or creators themselves.

My suggestion is not to use Bit Torrent, seems that they only have files that simply will not work.

I have tried everything from installing every imaginable software available, from real player to WMP to un heard of players that you can only find on a server somewhere in russia, honestly nothing works, I even got Windows media classic to open up about 8 seconds of 349MB and it stops playing the file after about 6 seconds of play.

Bit Torrent is useless, Downloading Files suck, I'm going to go and just by the DVD's from the store less hassle and probably more enjoyable.

Sorry..........

#13 J Fontana

J Fontana

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:46 AM

I've had a similar problem,

I've been trying to open .avi files in windows media player, but every time I do so wmp stops and an "unknown error" box comes up telling me that it has had to shut down. When I try opening the file using Windows Explorer, Explorer crashes and then reboots itself and another "unknown error" box appears and Explorer restarts. These .avi files were working fine a couple of days ago.

I've also tried opening the file in DivX player but a similar problem occurs i.e. it won't play the file.

I've checked the files in question using the GSpot codec information software and it crashed halfway through rendering the files and error window appeared telling me that it couldn't identify the faulty codec.

Does this mean my codecs are all f***ed?

Thanks for any help in advance

#14 J Fontana

J Fontana

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:27 AM

Forgot to mention, i've just installed the latest version of DivX and that seems to have solved the problem. I can play the files in DivX. However wmp keeps shutting down when i try to play the files

#15 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

Hello,

This is a portal for getting help and toubleshooting to solve issues. What I see in your posts is un-constructive criticism, which helps no one. These posts are archived for future reference, and the information that has already been presented may in fact help someone out in need.

I suggest this, instead of dumping your own personal opinion, try describing in detail facts about the software you use, your operating system, and maybe even your experience level. Simply downloading and installing program after program is not the correct course of action. All it does is cause more system instability due to programs fighting for association with the same file types.

If you need assistance, just give some information, and just ask for help, I'm sure you will find that rather than the program or computer being at fault, it may very well be the operators lack of knowledge.

Were here to help,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users