Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is MSXML & do I need it?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

On the computer I use the most I have WinXP tab ed XP3. It's networked to my Dell 380 desktop w/ WinXP Prof SP2. I'm trying to troubleshoot/clean up/secure both computers. I use Firefox on both computers.

The tablet w/ SP3 has MSXML 4 SP2. By my reading SP3 includes MSXML 6 so it should be installed, but it's not in Add/Remove Programs. [the download page for MSXML 6 doesn't have SP3 listed under supported OS's tho]. The Dell doesn't have any versions of MSXML in Add/Remove Programs so MSXML doesn't appear to be necessary for my web browsing or usage.

Per my reading, MS recommends MSXML 6 as the most compatible w/ current W3C & the most secure, so I'd like to put MSXML on both computers and uninstall 4 SP2. Only I don't know what programs [if any] use MSXML & therefore if some program on the tablet is using MSXML 4 and wouldn't be able to use 6. I've never noticed the lack of MSXML on the Dell, which has the same programs as the tablet minus the ink and other table-specific applications. I'm wondering if I even need MSXML.

Is MSXML needed for home computers or for web applications that I might utilize in the future?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users