Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista sp1 install loop

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AngelFyre

AngelFyre

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me. This is my first post here, and after searching for at least 6 hours on the web, I have found no known solutions for this problem. My sister's laptop is running vista home basic (I think) on a pre-installed toshiba satellite a135-s4656.

She ran into this problem today while trying to install sp1. The searches I've done indicate this to be an old problem, with as many possible fixes as there are users. While installing, it loops, then while trying to restart, it hangs and gives a stop error of "0cx01a001d 37013/95261". Then, while trying to boot into safe mode, it hangs on last successful component loaded of "crcdisk.sys". It refuses to boot in any form; ie safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known, etc. Will not boot at all, and when trying to restore from the installation disc, it works for a little while and then hangs indefinitely.

She wants to try to save her files before trying a clean install, and I don't know if it would be possible to slave a laptop drive to a pc so that I can get her files. I should add that zone alarm upgrades were found to be common to at least 3 of the search results I got. Problem is, we cannot now get into her computer at all to remove z/a to try reinstalling sp1. Please help!

~Stephanie~

edited for clarification

Edited by AngelFyre, 28 December 2009 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:11 AM

hi,,,, you can remove any programs using command prompt,,, if this will allow you to remove z/a and then copy your files before a clean install , i do not know as i have never tried it,,,, yet :huh:
http://www.pcterritory.net/2009/04/uninsta...ogram-with.html
if this way does not work then try this one
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2947/window...n_command_line/
this one i have tried and it works fine for me
or as you say you can restore the pc back for a little while before crash,,, then as soon as the restore is done try boot in safe mode and uninstall z/a if it allows you maybe ??
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thank you.

Sorry about the confusion, I meant repair. I was so fried last night that I typed restore instead of repair. So when trying to repair from the installation disk it runs for a bit, then stops working (the led light is not on to signify that it is working) and never leaves the progress screen.

I will try what you have suggested, if I can get it to boot. I should add that I managed to disable the automatic shutdown/restart process that vista goes through when it detects a problem, to be able to see what errors come up.

~Stephanie~

Edited by AngelFyre, 28 December 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

hi,,, if you have your disc then you can boot from the disc and enter the recovery console where you can run command prompt and try uninstall z/a,,,,
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/command-prompt-in-windows-recovery-environment/
instructions on how are in this link above
hope this helps you
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Tried to get it to boot from the disk last night. No joy. So far today I have started up with the disk in the drive, I got it to the repair/recovery screen, it checked for a few seconds and then gave me the "can try to restore your system to a point where it worked correctly" screen. The disk was ejected, I clicked ok and its now been sitting on the startup repair "attempting repairs" for 15 minutes. The LED light indicating system process has stopped flashing. Does that mean it's hung up again?

Edited by AngelFyre, 28 December 2009 - 01:19 PM.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

hi,,,, have you set the pc to boot from the disc drive ????? it shows how in the link in previous post :huh:.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Tried that in the bios last night. Does not work. And in the link you provided, when booting with the disc in the drive, it DOES NOT go to the "select any key to boot from cd or dvd" screen.

Edited by AngelFyre, 28 December 2009 - 01:29 PM.

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

hi,,, so if it wont boot from the drive then a clean install is out the question as well then,,,,,, ok, try this,,,, unplug the power lead take out the battery and press the start button for a minuet,,, then plug it back in and try booting into the bios change the boot priority to the disc drive and see if it will let you boot from the recovery disc,,, if it lets you in then its up to you what you try,,,, startup repair,,, enter cmd and uninstall z/a or a clean install,,, thats if it gets into there,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

I will try that and let you know. Thanks.

#10 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Ok I switched the boot priority in the bios to cd/dvd. It loaded and gave this:
<Selecting a process>
Please select an option.
1- Toshiba Recovery Wizard
2- System Recovery Options

editing to add: Got this far last night and found out that the toshiba recovery wizard takes you to format options..which is something we do not want at this point. I think system recovery options just took us back into repair/restore, which the system cannot get all the way through as mentioned above. Is it possible that this is not a true boot disc, just a recovery disc?

Edited by AngelFyre, 28 December 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#11 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

I clicked into the system recovery options because I got tired of waiting.

It gave me the menu referenced as fig. 5 in this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/command-prompt-in-windows-recovery-environment/

What do I do now?

#12 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

lol,,, nice one,,,, try system restore to before the sp1 updates,,,, or try a startup repair,,,,,, i would try the restore first,,, if this goes west then try the startup repair,,,, if you get back into the machine i would uninstall z/a and switch on windows f/w,,,,,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#13 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

I am going to try system restore. It listed the restore point that vista created right before trying to install sp1. All other points were wiped out. Now, do I need to take the cd out before continuing with restore?

#14 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

EDITED--((duplicate post)) no delete post function.

Edited by AngelFyre, 28 December 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#15 AngelFyre

AngelFyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

DO I TAKE THE CD OUT BEFORE CONTINUING WITH RESTORE??????????????????????

Please answer this question, I do not know if I should leave it in or not. And I would like to be able to get on with this ;) It has now been at least an hour since I've been waiting for a reply.

Edited by AngelFyre, 28 December 2009 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users