Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiPhishing Folder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dleckie450

dleckie450

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hi all,

I want to start off by saying I am very new to forums. Never been on them or posted so hopefully this will work out OK.

I cleaned my computer using CCleaner and came across this which I never seen before.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\AntiPhishing\A0AB7674-8D67-4F4D-B5E1-96FAEADFB79D.dat

I tried cleaning it a few times but still appears over and over. I did a search here on bleepingcomputer and tried to understand what it was and what I could do, but I failed. So I decided to post it and hopefully get a responce and/or fix if needed.

Is this a hack, keylogger, spyware or whatever?

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

I believe that this folder is related to the anti-phishing filter in Internet Explorer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dleckie450

dleckie450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

I don't think so. i have IE7 on multiple machines and this folder just showed up today. I also believe some passwords were compromised. Is there something I can do to check for anything?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,040 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dleckie450

dleckie450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Budapest. I did what you instructed and this is the resulting log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3444
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

12/28/2009 11:28:19 AM
mbam-log-2009-12-28 (11-28-19).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 120269
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,040 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

Those 3 items found by Malwarebytes are probably not related to any kind of virus infection.

What antivirus software do you use?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 dleckie450

dleckie450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

I use AVG for Antivurus.

Just before I received your email I removed the hard drive from the computer and moved it to a secondary one as drive 'D'. I started up the other computer and went into D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files ( and any other users folder) and deleted everything under there.

I did the same to all Local Settings\Temp folders.

I placed the hard drive back into the original computer, ran AVG, CCleaner and Registry Mechanic. The folder did not appear again. I then logged into BleepingComputer, read your responce, ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and we are at this point now.

It appears things are cleaned up. Should I run HijackThis and put it up here for you? Or do anyting else?

Thanks,

Dave

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,040 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

I don't think there is any need for a HJT log unless you have some symptoms of an infection.

That's all I think.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users