Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix and Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rrtzmd

rrtzmd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

...when attempting to run combofix I get an error message saying it's incompatible with my os...I use 64 bit Windows 7 -- is there a combofix for that?...thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

Combofix is not 64 bit compatible.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

Currently there is not a 64 bit version of ComboFix, and no plans as of this post to create one that I am aware of. In my opinion the author has his hands full maintaining the current version.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

I added a note about system requirements in the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here thread.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,021 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

Plus there is little need to run ComboFix on 64 bit systems as rootkits are virtually eliminated, starting with Vista 64 bit.
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland--Paul Simon

#6 Protege

Protege

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'm sorry I have to disagree with those users that are saying protection or rather disinfection of a 64 bit operating system is not necessary and that there is no need for a Combofix of this caliber. I am an on-site service technician for a well known brand of computers and I routinely see massive infections in such operating systems.

It's true the users are usually ignorant or careless about keeping the garbage out of their machine to begin with, but these are the same users that make their problems somebody else's the minute things don't work the way they think they should. The fact is most 64 bit operating systems are not used that way especially consistently. Most buyers of whatever computer they end up with are not so concerned about the fact that their operating system is 64 bit, only that it's twice the number of a 32 bit operating system therefore it must be better/nicer. 64bit operating systems only work in 64 bit mode when everything you use (programs) are also 64 bit flavors of everyone's favorite software, some are not even available that way yet and thus the machine uses the program in 32 bit mode. By excluding Combofix for these people, you are allowing a safe haven for viruses that through the attempt of all other anti-virus programs could not be removed by any other means.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,356 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Hello as of Dec 14,2010 CF is now 64 bit compatible.

The last post before yourrs was Posted 24 December 2009 -
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#8 Protege

Protege

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

Hello as of Dec 14,2010 CF is now 64 bit compatible.

The last post before yourrs was Posted 24 December 2009 -

In that case could you point me to a link, because the version of Combofix I have says it's not compatible with Windows Vista or 7, thanks.

Edited by Protege, 22 January 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

Link is here: How to use ComboFix

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#10 Protege

Protege

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thank you for the link however, when I run Combofix it tells me that there is a new version available for download. In cases where internet activity has been blocked it will force Combofix to work in what it calls "reduced functionality mode". Which is why I was wondering if there is a link to the newest version of Combofix? -the version that is downloaded by the Combofix version posted above. Thanks

Edited by Protege, 23 January 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#11 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

Interesting. . . I'll alert the site owner that the link needs updating.

Here's a good one

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#12 Rdms

Rdms

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

how do i replace my 32bit combofix with the 64 bit version for windows 7

Edited by Rdms, 14 March 2011 - 02:44 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,777 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Delete it and download the latest version.

CF is frequently updated and you should not be using old versions.

IMPORTANT!: If you ran or want to run ComboFix on your own due to malware infection, please be aware that using it is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary.

Further, when issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

If you ran or want to run ComboFix on your own just to see what it does or finds, please be aware that ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#14 Pawn3d

Pawn3d

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

64-bit w00t!

Now I will pay my dues and donate to combofix!

#15 neo canes

neo canes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

I am getting Incompatible OS error.
In my machine I have installed Windows 7 64 bit OS.
OS Version: 6.1.7600 ServicePack: 0.0

I have downloaded latest version of ComboFix and trying to run it in Windows 7 64 bit OS machine but every time it gives me an error "Incompatible OS. ComboFix only works for workstation with Windows 2000 and XP".

Please help me out to resolve this issue. If is there any requirement to update an OS please also suggest on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users